1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reloading .454 casull what bullets?
i just want a wadcutter or somesuch.
but what diameter and weight?
i would like to be able to shoot metallic sillywets with my new PLINKER without shredding them.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I dont know what sillywets are but if you want light loads load .45 Colt,s to minimum. Dont load ,454 casings that low.I just dont know how they would work but the .45 Colt loads in .45 Colt casings work great in a .454. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know what sillywets are but if you want light loads load .45 Colt,s to minimum. Dont load ,454 casings that low.I just dont know how they would work but the .45 Colt loads in .45 Colt casings work great in a .454. sam.
metallic silhouettes.
but i would be using the same bullet in either case correct?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
metallic silhouettes.
but i would be using the same bullet in either case correct?
Now I am laughing at myself for being so slow.Yes,the same .451 or.452 bullet.I believe they will require cast but different ranges are different.I believe 11.5gr of unique in a .454 casing will give a 240gr jhp about 1100fps which might be okay if they accept jackets.The trouble with cast bullets is I think you would have extreme leading over 900fps. sam.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I only shoot jacketed .454 rounds out of my Casull, but plenty of lead using .45 Colt. Rainier does make some copper plated I might give a shot (Pun intended) in 250 and 300 grain weights.

Masterblastersbullets keeps saying they have some Moly coated 250 grainers coming soon. But it's said that for about six months now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I own four .454's, and only one of them has ever had a jacketed bullet fired.....all cast. If you don't cast your own, there are some very good commercial cast bullets available, or perhaps you know a fellow shooter that does cast. The standard size is .452" for cast, and that's what my Ruger SRH uses.

My best results have been with bullets over 300 grains. Loaded down to 1000 fps. or so they are pleasant to shoot and should suit your purposes.

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I own four .454's, and only one of them has ever had a jacketed bullet fired.....all cast. If you don't cast your own, there are some very good commercial cast bullets available, or perhaps you know a fellow shooter that does cast. The standard size is .452" for cast, and that's what my Ruger SRH uses.

My best results have been with bullets over 300 grains. Loaded down to 1000 fps. or so they are pleasant to shoot and should suit your purposes.
are you getting leading at those speeds?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use plain base cast bullets up to around 1200 fps. with no leading, and gas checked bullets up to 1500 fps. with no leading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts