reloading baby steps

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by billy, May 26, 2008.

1. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

after setting up and using my Dillon 550.
    i am real glad i started out with a single stage and then a turret before taking this one on.
    it wasn't that difficult but i have had over 2 years experience monkeying around with simpler presses.
    for instance i already knew how to set dies,calibrate scales,the basic differences in powders,etc.
    i also already had calipers,scales, reloading manuals,case trimmers,tumbler,primer tray,dies and an assortment of powders and primers
    i will still use the other presses so i didn't throw that money away.
    i was able to swap primers and powders quickly and easily today.
    this is a well designed press but it is a fairly complicated piece of machinery.
    i have read 1000's of pages on reloading but without the hands on experience i would have become somewhat overwhelmed.
    others may be more mechanically inclined but this is my take on it.
    am i glad i bought it?
    boy o boy YES!
    100 rounds in 20 minutes?
    that never would have happened with the other presses.
    the powder and primer delivery systems work wonderfully.
    now all i need are some 38 spl. and 357 carbide dies and a shell plate and i will be completely set up for any thing i care to load.
    the toolheads are a real time saver.
    YMMV
    bill

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. Good sound advice Billy. Hoping I don't get overwhelmed. With me, I knew if I didn't get it now, I'd of never had the money anytime in the future to upgrade to the LNLAP Press.

Just have to take it slow I guess. And can only hope the fact I'm mechanically inclined helps a lot? lol Another reason I'm only going to start out loading to calibers, 1 rifle and 1 handgun. I said it before and I'll say it again, too bad you,moose,sam,leftyO,toolman and a few others, live so far. I'd love to have any of you/them to show me the ropes.
    But such is life. I'm use to doing and learning on my own.

It's how I learned to do brakes and most anything else I needed to repair on my own vehicle/s. Couldn't afford to pay someone to do it so had to learn it myself. Ammunition getting to expensive for me to afford so have to learn/teach myself how to reload it.

Again, good post for anyone, such as myself, that will be jumping head first and/or those considering getting into reloading.

3. billy

eh,
    yer a smart young buck.
    you'll be up and running in no time.
    not everyone needs someone to hold their hand to learn this stuff.
    but i do!

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I'm still using my old Rockchucker. I don't reload the quantities billy does. Howevert It would be nice to be able to crank out pistol ammo though.

5. billy

what made me buy this thing steve was one day i was looking at my 1911a1 in my safe and realized i hadnt fired it in months because it took so long to load for.
    so that is what pushed me over the edge and forced ...yes FORCED me to spend 550 bucks!
    i lucked into this deal with mooseman but i was going to buy a faster press come hellorhighwater! just for this one pistol.
    the fact that i can now make plinking rifle rounds is a gigantic bonus.:scool:

i can make 1000 45acp for $127.
    this thing will pay for itself inside of a year.

6. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Billy,

Good to hear that things are working out well with your new reloader...and that you'll have enough ammo on hand to do the shooting you've wanted.

GM,

Does LNLAP mean you've got the Hornady LNL AP...? I'd appreciate any feedback from you on how you're doing in getting it setup and working, cause I'm learning how to use one that I bought last summer as well...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBRM9ZcO9FA]YouTube - Hornady LNL AP Progressive Loading 44 Magnum[/ame]

And, my RCBS presses are staying on the bench, where they've done so well...cause I built another bench for the LNLAP.

7. Yes, that's what I'll be getting tomorrow, Tuesday 5/27. I found it here for less then anywhere else. About 35 bucks cheaper than MidwayUSA...
    Midsouth HORNADY/PACIFIC RELOADING TOOLS LOCK-N-LOAD AUTO PROGRESSIVE PRESS

When it gets here and I've gotten my bench finished to where I can mount it I'll gladly inform how it was to assemble and get going. Keep in mind, this is my very first press and will be the very first time ever doing it and even being near one. So I'm going to take my sweet time and that just means it might be a while before I post anything. I may not even be online for a while after it gets here. But again, I'll gladly let you know how things go...

And FWIW, I was looking into/at RCBS's products and the only reason I went with Hornady was a bit cheaper price wise and the free 1000 bullets offer with purchase of the LNL AP Press and then 100 free bullets for each die set. Just have to pay shipping. $6.95 on 100, $14.95 on 500 and $21.95 on 1000 bullets. I'll be getting the .45acp bullets and minus the shipping charge, I'll be saving roughly $250 bucks...

8. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Thanks...

I've got the new bench built, the press assembled, and have bolted the press to it's new working location...

Dies and powder measure are in place as well.

Now, it's time to make some ammo.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Billy...sorry about piggy backing on your post for my LNLAP learning and reloading needs.

9. Yea me too/either. Didn't mean to hi-jack/piggy back it or anything.

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Billy, it's no good! How are you going to spend all that free time you used to reload with? BORING! Better send me that Dillon and get back to the old press.

11. billy

heck i dont care.
    we are all on the same page here.
    this is the
    wedontknowwhatwearedoing forum!

12. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

You're great Billy...thanks for your input.

13. billy

sure thing boss!:09:

14. billy

por nada amigo