Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in the process of purchasing, etc, i have most everything, hornady dies and press, tumbler, hopefully all the tools, reamers, brushes etc.
i have a room that i will use, but i need i little direction on how to set up a bench, the materials one should use, and dimensions, actually i was thinking of as solid core door, smooth, at counter top height.
any suggestions would be helpful. and many thanks to all who have answered my posts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've seen a couple of old wooden desks (the kind with a couple of pull-out shelves, don't ask me what they're called) Made into some pretty decent benches.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
a big ol door will work .
you want a heavy bench .
something solid that wont wiggle.
i bolted mine to the floor.

i put a large peice of plate glass on top of mine (i got it for free from work)and white formica underneath.
i like the light color it helps me see whats going on .

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
no kiddin!
i like the 2 drawer steel one also.
rated for 800 lbs.!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you want a bench at the right height. 32"to 34" works well for me sitting on a bar stool. 24" to30" deep, any more just invites clutter, and make it as wide as you can..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also, fasten a "lip" across the front (and rear) of the bench so stuff won't roll off. I doesn't need to be very high, maybe 1/8". It will save you a lot of bending and searching.:)

PS- Be aware that some materials will produce static electricity! And static electricity is NOT the friend of the reloader. It will ignite powder and can even fire a primer.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
One that gets a foot longer every 6 months!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I used a 4X8 sheet of 3/4" treated plywood, ripped to 30" wide. I braced the bottom side with 2 X 4s from corner to corner to enhance stiffness. I moonted it to the wall atop a 2 X 6 at about 32-34" height. Just right for a normal barstool.

I covered it with a piece of gloss white formica. I also built a shelf 12" X 4' and put it on 8", 2 X 4 legs. It sits against the wall at the back of the bench. This is where the die sets, funnels, boxes of bullets, and various tools set. The space directly under the shelf is for powder storage.

It works very well for me.

Nick

·
Registered
935 Posts
Saw this at harbor freight the other day and was drooling for it as a reloading bench
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices=
These make a pretty good reloading bench, all things considered. But the downside is that when you mount your presses on the front of the bench, you can't open the drawers. Least, that's what happened to mine. You could overcome that problem by making/buying riser blocks (Pain in the rear end) and mount your presses on top of the bench instead of on the front of the bench top. YMMV

·
Premium Member
18,914 Posts
I've found that 40" tall works well with a barstool. My primary workbench is 12' long and 2' deep. And strange enough, it still gets cluttered. I covered it with white masonite and mounted a lip around the edge to keep small parts from disappearing into the abyss(floor). I've posted a couplke of pictures of it in the gallery, don't know how to transfer them here. But I used 4X4 legs with 2X4 framing, and secured it to the wall with 4" screws. It's pretty sturdy, and doesn't move around when you have to get gnarly with a job. Scotty:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got a blemmished laminated countertop for 15 bucks . Purchased some heavy two inch box channel and welded me a frame.and bolted the top to it. I stacked all my brass,lead on the lower rail to hold it down,works great. All my other stuff is in cabinets.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I went to a discount furniture store and bought a kitchen table that was scratched and missing a leg for $40.00. The guy at the store went to the back and found a leg that looked identical to the other three. I am looking at making a foldable reloading bench in my garage since the wife is wanting to have kids (completely overrated) and needing the third bedroom for the child. I was thinking of mounting a cut down sheet of 3/4" plywood that is reinforced with 2"x4". On the side that is mounted to the wall I was planning on using a full length hinge and then using a pulley system to raise and lower it. for the legs I would use 4"x4" that were hinged as well. I I know it would be a pain in the backside to set up everytime you wanted to reload but I don't use it everyday and I only have a two car garage with three vehicles so I need the space. I would use a standing cabinet to hold all the equipment and the supplies that way nothing would be laying around the garage. I live in Las Vegas so there is no humidity to speak of so I don't have to worry about equipment rusting or powder being damaged from the humidity.
Just a thought that I have been throwing around in my head.

Scott

·
Registered
358 Posts
I use my old computer desk. When i bought my house it came with a big glass computer table so my old one got turned into a reloading bench. Its about 2 inches thick so it is nice and thick and heavy so it does not turn or twist. I built some shelves to go on the top of it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, they were $50.39 what I bought 2 of them just before Xmas, now they are $20 cheaper. Haven't built them yet, still working out the sizes and space concerns in the room I will be using. I had also found this...Free Work Bench Plans!

There are a ton of great easy sets of plans to use for work benches. i really liked the 2x4 basics set, it simplified things for me. I'm thinking of building it 24" deep and 6' long. I will also be building in makeshift drawers on the second shelf for odds and ends, probably will do light as well. I will also cut holes in the top to set in brackets to hold a rifle for cleaning, I will post a pic once I finish it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
All nice benches.
Nathan123, I do have one question because I've seen this once before. When the handle is pulled on the press, are you actually bending down? I mean it looks like it isnt tall enough. But if it works, thats great!
And a lip around the back and sides is a good idea. I have it on mine but not on front. And I wrote about this years ago. Please put a rug or rubber mat to stand on. Just in the one in a gazillion chance a dropped round could ignite. I've seen it twice. But then I'm one in a gazillion! Only could happen to me.
I also made a bracket for a small vice that can be rotated 180 degrees. One for a padded vice for gun cleaning and rotated for regular stuff. I use it a lot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts