Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to build another reloading bench. the one i have doesnt have enough storage space.anyone know of any sites where i could get some ideas?

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
when I get my digital camera back from the ex I'll send you pictures of my bench it has stations for 3 presses: Dillon 650, Lee Progressive, and an RCBS Single stage. It also has stations for 2 powder measures, and the scale

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I ordered these plans and the bench is great for reloading. Takes some time to build, but it's worth it.
www.reload-nrma.com

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
There's a local company here in San Antonio that has a pretty neat web site with lots of pics. Let me find their card and I'll get back to ya. They did good work, but it was nothing that a man couldn't do himself for half the price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why not be unique and create your own plans? I currently have mine set up on a section of a work bench in my garage but if I were to have the space for an actual bench specificly for my new press, it would probably be something like this:

-3 feet wide by 8 feet long
-Six 4x4 posts as legs(one on each corner and center front and back).
-Each post would be connected with a 2x4 fastened flush with the top of each post around the perimeter and one connecting the two center legs.
-Additional 2x4s are required around the bottom of each post approximatly 6"-1' from the ground to stablize the legs. This bracing is not required for the front of the bench as the other 3 sides and center will be enough to stablize the legs.
-Tabletop would be made of 2 sheets of 1/2"thick 4'x8' Plywood ripped to 3'x8', glued together, and Screwed down to the 2x4s placed around the perimeter.

-An option would be to take 4 2x4s(Two 8' long, Two 3' long) and use dato blades to create a 1/4"wide by 5/8"deep kerf in the boards
-Using 45degree joints, assemble the boards to form rectangle, leaving one side open to slide a cut-to-fit piece of pegboard in place and fasten the final side in place.
-Fasten the framed pegboard in place flush with the back of the tabletop.

The picture works out well in my mind so raise your hand if any further explination is needed. As for height, its upto you, I would place at about 4' to allow the use of a chair for long sessions yet still be able to operate standing.
The small stackable bins also help for holding components that your using or tools/parts for your press setup.

-Eric

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have my summer time creative block...its too dang hot to think i just want to be told what to do til winter then ill change everything! :D

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
can't find the card, I'll get the info for ya.....it's just an interesting set of plans to look at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rgr i hear ya, Im much happier in winter time.

Was just reading Speer #13 manual and it shows plans by National Reloading Manufacturers Association(NRMA) that are for sale, the picture in the book looks pretty good.

NRMA
1 Centerpoint Drive
Suite 300
Lake Oswego, OR 97035

Not sure bout web address, might wanna try searching for it...

-Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
I built the top section from the NRMA plans to sit on my existing bench and used pegboard for the sliding doors. One of the doors on the center section is hinged to fold downward and serves as the shelf for my scale--at eye height where it is easy to read. And, I used MDF (medium density fiberboard) for the bench top. Heavy but stable and solid.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
There are plans in this months American Rifleman.

But I gotta say this. First, screw the plans. How much space you got? Build accordingly.

#2 I used 4X4 legs with crossbraces and a shelf on the bottom, similar to the one in American Rifleman except mine will withstand a nuclear war. I built a drawer for the the little stuff and modular shelf system that can accept different stuff and easy to change.

#3 and one of the best....my bench is wired with 6 outlets and includes a phone jack. The 110 volt outlets are nice for the tumbler, battery charger, and whatever else I need.

Dont use nails! Nothing but Gorilla glue and screws. If I had to buy the materials I'd scream at the cost. Work was nice to me. I forgot to tell them I borrowed some stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Heres a quickie snapshot of my bench. I needed one quick and was in Amarillo at Sams, so I picked up one of those $49 Gorilla Racks. The two pieces visible here are actually one shelving rack. They can also be assembled as shown in two pieces to make benches with shelving underneath. Notice that I turned the shelves upside down so that there isnt that big tall lip. If you want to store bowling balls and dont want them to roll out, you can turn the shelf braces over and have a three inch lip to hold them in.

I had a scrap of 1" plywood left over from a flooring job and I used a piece of it on the bench with the presses. The Plywood is set on the frame with the OSB that comes in the kits on top. I just glued the two together and then screwed the backside to the frame so it wouldnt tip off when I get strong on the compression handle.

I have plenty room enough to put another press if I wanted, and still use the unit on the left for my gunsmith bench. It takes about fifteen minutes to put this thing together, and the total cost is under $60. In case you are wondering, yes it is in the corner of the spare bedroom. No pool, no kids, no pets, and not very much company, might as well have it handy. That's a sheet of Masonite underneath of it so that the shelf legs dont cut the carpet and so if I drop some primers or powder, momma can run right in and vacuum them up before anybody notices. (No comments needed, if you are still married, you already know.)

Bill

·
Registered
659 Posts
looks nice bountyhunter but does the axe keep you inline lol i bought a 10 by 12 shed portable in case of wife put all reloading stuff in it 2 foot bench in the end 1 foot shelves down both sides in 3 s and small heater for winter dont have camera but its great to get away when loading put cable tv and stereo looking for small ac for next summer so far around 300.00 into it and am building a gun cleaning vice and bench

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks, LaVelle, I got that a couple years ago from Hern. I did a lot of research and have a set of AutoCad drawings made now, so perhaps this winter I will get the carriage made.

There are only two books that I could find that had information on the proper carriage for a particular barrel. One of them was written in like 1680 in Europe, and the other is out of print. I had to pay over $100 to get a copy of the out of print one that sold originally for about $20. The next problem came with finding the proper oak to make the carriage. The original carriages were made of white oak, and I just happened to have some on the creek at my ranch. I ended up cutting down a tree and sawing it into planks. It is dry enough now that maybe I can get it finished.

You can bet your bippy that when I get it done, I will post in the cannon forum.

B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts