Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used the rcbs berdan primer removal tool? ive got a coupla 1000 pieces of berdan primed 308 that id like to reload. i can get the primers. i just wanna know if this thing works. thanks all!:)

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I've read that you can modify berdan primed cases to boxer primers. I'd go for this for certain military ammo I'd like to reload not so much for the expense as for the thickness of the case.

This is something I'd like to learn about as well.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not really trying to save much $ but i hate to have all this great brass laying around . id rather not just sell it for scrap. this morning i saw a site where a guy made a curved pointed tool to pry out the primers . he had drilled a hole in his work bench that the cases fit into , and then just tapped the tool into the primer and pried them right out . it looked really easy.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I personally tried that one time with a factory made tool to remove Berdan primers...A Big pain in the You know what. :34:
Then trying to find Berdan primers, darn near Impossible,
since you cant use regular primers, it just wasnt worth the hassle. .308 brass is plentiful and Cheap as are regular primers. Send that Brass to the recyclers and buy some boxer cases ! 500 only cost about 42.00 !
Rich

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Is it the case that you CANNOT modify Berdan primed cases into Boxer primed ones? I am looking for military strength cases, many of which are berdan primed. Rounds include 8mm Mauser, 7.62 Nato, and 30-06.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Inside of the Berdan primer pocket is a small hump of brass right in the center between the 2 flash holes that would have to be machined out, and I believe the primer hole for berdans are a larger diameter than a standard primers are so they wont press in tight.
Rich

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I could deal with the hump, but if the diameter is larger then I can't deal with that. I thought they could perhaps be reamed out like military brass for large rifle primers.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
magtech sells berdan primers #56 i dont know yet if that will work for my 308 or not . they arent very expensive $2.25 a 100, of course hazmat will get ya...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Talked with a dealer/shop today. They are going to check into it and might have to make large order to absorb HAZ MAT tax. Then the primers will be in a 1000 lot to make the order. 1000? That's about 999 too many!
Thanks Billy

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i tried....

·
Registered
22 Posts
RCBS Berdan tool

has anyone used the rcbs berdan primer removal tool?
Yes, worked fine after playing with the adjustments of the penetration depth and pin-tip blade angle. Deprimed 7mm Mauser and 7.5mm Swiss. Now to prime and load the cartridges and get out to the range.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
i wonder if billy really waited four years for the answer?!
seriously, alamo, let us know how they shoot.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wonder if billy really waited four years for the answer?!
seriously, alamo, let us know how they shoot.
hehee
i threw that brass away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts