reloading blank ammo?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by cremley, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cremley

cremley G&G Enthusiast

So, how would one go about doing that? My friends and I are into making short "movies" for fun. (really, it is just an excuse to put on the combat boots and the bullet proof jackets and act like we are members of a secret delta force). Anyway, since I just got into reloading, how would I reload blank ammo to use in making very safe "movies"? We have a bunch of airsoft guns but when you want the effect of a mosin sniper or something, not having a huge fireball kinda ruins the film.

How much powder do I use? 25% or full power? what do I use to keep the powder in the shell that wont act as a projectile? anyone ever done this before?

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Most Blanks are a very Fast burning Powder , and like the 30/06 ones I find, they have a small cardboard disk laquered in place as a plug...some are star crimped with no wadding...They are FULL !
    Rich

3. cremley

cremley G&G Enthusiast

How would you star crimp a shell? I know what it looks like and my brother has some star crimped stuff for a 9mm but I don't know how to do it.

4. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

wouldnt a star crimp ruin the case?

5. jimkim

jimkim G&G Enthusiast

Blanks use either black powder or a type of flash powder. I wouldn't try to load my own. I would buy blanks just to be safe. You can get them in 45, 30-06, 7.62x51mm, and 5.56x45mm. This link will tell you what to look for on the surplus market.
    http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM43-0001-27.pdf

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Star crimping requires a special machine/die...

Rich

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If you don't have the blank block screwed on the muzzle don't try it.(unless you have a big insurance pollicy on the other man) sam.

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

No Sam...you only need a Blank adapter for a Semi-auto rifle....But if you mean for safety, dont point it at anyone close !!!
    Bolt actions dont need one.
    Pyrodex would be a great powder for blanks...
    Here is some good info....

Bob Shell's Blog: Blank Ammo

9. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

The burning of powder in a cartridge is dependent on developing pressure. Loose powder or powder with no bullet to push and build up pressure will not work very well for what you want. Ignition will tend to be erratic and unpredictable. I wouldn't advise trying to make your own "flash/bang" loads. Check out Mooseman's link. But remember blanks and movie shots are not the same thing.

Movie makers usually "dub" in the flashes for the spectacular shooting scenes with lots of muzzle flames and such. Think about the last movie or TV shooting scene you saw. There is not a lot of muzzle flash shown, it's mostly noise and maybe a little smoke. Explosions and such last longer and can be filmed, but gunshots are different. Remember that each frame of a video is exposed for about 1/60 of a second or so, depending on your equipment. In between frames, there is a lot of blank time that the eye doesn't pick up when the video is shown due to the physiology of the eye. That blank time is enough to be annoying and make you have a whole lot of retakes, since often that's when the gun goes off and you miss the flash.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I've seen 7.62x39 ComBloc ammo on various ammo supplier websites, but I think the stuff is intended for launching rifle grenades off Yugo SKS rifles. I don't know if they would properly cycle the action in semi-auto mode. Anyone out there have experience with these blanks?

11. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Cyrano...There are Blanks...then there are Grenade launching Blanks.
    For regular Blanks , you need a blank firing adaptor in order for a semi auto to cycle them. The AK-47 BFD looks like a cap with a hole in it that threads on in place of an AK muzzle break...
    Grenade launching blanks should not be used with B F devices... They develop More Pressure for launching.
    Rich

12. cremley

cremley G&G Enthusiast

Well, I was kinda wanting a 7.62x54r, which is why I want to load my own.

I guess I may just scrap the idea and try and do some good editing with muzzle flashes and stuff. I don't have much experience doing the editing but I could try. does anyone have a favorite program they use? I have windows movie maker and I think I have a copy of adobe premier from a few years ago.

13. jimkim

jimkim G&G Enthusiast

14. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

make sure there is nothing stuck in the barrel when you fire the blank, that is how Brandon Lee got killed in the crow.

15. cremley

cremley G&G Enthusiast

16. cremley

cremley G&G Enthusiast

Oooo, thanks for the advice! was he shot at or did the firearm blow up?

17. jimkim

jimkim G&G Enthusiast

Good idea.

18. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

They used dummy rounds for a close up shot so you could see the bullets in the revolver cylinder. Then when emptying out the dummy rounds one of the bullets must have been stuck from the dummy round was left in the cylinder or barrel. They put in blanks and bam squib round death.

19. jimkim

jimkim G&G Enthusiast

Pointing a real gun at another human being is NEVER a good idea. Jon-Eric Hexum killed himself with a blank.

20. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I remember when in high school some 40 years ago our school had an assembly where a police officer or someone was shooting a gun using blanks and absolutely tearing up Pepsi cans. They were just four or five feet away but I remember him saying something about being powerful enough to kill you even though it was a blank. Not to highjack a thread but just how dangerous are blanks at close range? We hear all the time about a gun being pointed at someone thinking it's unloaded and kills their buddy. I can just see a kid knowing something is a blank, thinking it nothing more than a cap gun and firing close range at their buddy. I just think for safety reasons the power of a blank needs to be discussed more!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted