Gun and Game Forum banner

Reloading dies

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dave375hh 
#1 ·
I'm about to make up some recipes for my new .22-250.

Wanting the gun to be a very accurate shooter I'm interested in opinions on which die (and manufacturer) you think produces the highest quality of die for the money and why and if anyone feels the die has a great impact on final accuracy.

I use a lot of Lee and RCBS and even have an older set of Bonanza dies made by Forster but I have no experience with Dillion, Redding, the new Forster, etc.

I also understand that there are many more factors to a complete accurate round such as bullet choice, powder selection, etc.

Just wondering what the reloaders think.

#2 ·
dies are what you get.... my son has a 22-250 and he picked up a set of lee deluxe dies.. with the neck sizer... so far we have just played with the reguler sizer. the biggest thing is to fined out what the rifle likes...
my son got the savage 12fv .. just like his buddy. his buddy came up with a load useing a v max 55 gr. shoots realy good. but it didnt work worth a crap in my sons.. we ended up useing varget and a 60 gr. v max.. the thing will shoot 1 hole all day long...
so when you start to reload just try every combo you can and keep good note on what worked the best....

#4 ·
Yeah, I'm quite aware a large part of reloading is finding out what a particular rifle likes best.

I just hadn't had any experience with the dies that claim 'competition' quality, 'custom' quality, etc.

I'll give the Bonanza (Forster predecessor) a go and see how those dies do.

Thanks, guys, for the replies.

#6 ·
all ive ever used is rcbs,and in all my rifle calibers i got loads that will shoot under one MOA. they take time to work up but i think about any die will do the same as long as you take care not to use any deformed cases. although i have heard that just neck sizing does creat greater results! but ya cant just neck size ammo that youll use in differant rifles (or so ive been told) i dont have any neck sizing dies at all.

#7 ·
whirlwind said:
all ive ever used is rcbs,and in all my rifle calibers i got loads that will shoot under one MOA. they take time to work up but i think about any die will do the same as long as you take care not to use any deformed cases. although i have heard that just neck sizing does creat greater results! but ya cant just neck size ammo that youll use in differant rifles (or so ive been told) i dont have any neck sizing dies at all.
WW you have been told right neck sizing should only be done on cases shot through a single rifle. Belted magnums need special care to make sure the brass lasts.

#8 ·
I also have a .22-250 neck sizer and that's all I am using to size the brass I've shot through the Savage.

As implied I figured I have only one .22-250 and these cases were fire formed in that chamber.

But I'm also thinking that I need to keep an eye on the brass OAL.

#9 ·
dale: 1 thing you might want to know , if you dont already is you will have to run the brass in the fl. die. after a few shots in the same rifle and brass.. i havent realy seen any diffrence in useing just the neck sizeing die...
the thing when i , or my sons shoot we dump all the brass that has been shot. we size it , then run it in the tumbler... i have the kids doing it the way i have for about 40 years... clean out the primer pocket, trim, chamfer inside and out. i like the lee hand tools. we can sit infront of the tv and do all this.. that way all the brass is the same...so when we go to reload its all the same no matter when the brass was fired...
just a side note. took 2 of the boys to a 200 yd shoot yesterday.. we dont shoot as much as we would like, but the kid with the 22-250 beat out 6 other guys for 1st place with his rifle...i didnt think he was going to have much of a chance cause a good stiff wind was blowing across the range. the others were useing .308's and .270's.

#10 ·
Thanks, Mr. Mom on the info about resizing after a few runs through the gun.

I'll keep that in mind...fer sure.

As far as the .22-250 outshooting the larger calibers...well, that doesn't surprise me.

I studied and studied the round before I settled into it for prairie dogging and coyotin' up on the rez.

It's a somewhat misunderstood and definately underestimated round.

And, I'm learning more and more about the round as the days go on.

If someone ever comes out with a semi-auto configuration for the .22-250 they'll have a far better shooting platform than with, say, the semi .223s.

OOOO, brother!

#11 ·
Dale,
I've had good luck with the Hdy. 50gr Vmax over 41.0gr H-414, Win WLR seated .010 off the lands. This load with the Berger 50gr. MEF shoots just as well but the Berger's are expensive. The Sierra 55gr BTHP stock # 1390 over 35gr. IMR 4895, also .010 off the lands is another good one.

I use Redding bushing neck dies, and a Hornady Seating die. Other than new brass I don't full lenght size. I only do the new ones so I can turn the necks to even them up before loading them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.