Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Well, I picked up a Mosin a few weeks ago (made a thread), and am getting back into pistol shooting. This, plus the possibility of my Dad and I picking up a couple 1911s, leads us to ask, "What about reloading?"

So, basically, I need to know how to get started. I saw the Lee Classic Reloader (the hand-operated one) on Midway, and it looks like it may be a good starting point, from what the reviews, and memebers like ToolMan have said. Do you guys have any input on this?

What items will I need? The Lee handloading kit comes with Sizing Die, Decapping Chamber, Bullet Seater and Priming Chamber, Priming Rod, Powder Measure, load data, plastic case and complete instructions (copied from Midway). Using what little intuition I have, I'm going to go ahead and assume that I'll need some powder, bullets, brass, and primers. Is the included powder measure reliable? What about a better priming device?

Will this really save me money? I don't really care, because I figure it will offer a nice way to mellow out, and relax a little.

So, let me summarize my questions:
1) What tools (besides a hammer) will I need, in addition to my handloader, and the included items?
2) What should I use as far as powder, and bullets go? Who are some reputable manufacturers, and sources?
3) How much money will this save me?

Fair warning, I'll probably be asking a lot of questions in the upcoming weeks, so I apologize in advance if I get annoying.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I doubt that you can run military brass through a hand held press and further you cant reload berdan primers.Only boxer.The first thing you need is to get reloading manuals and put reloading cartridges on your search bar and start reading about reloading.After that you can ask the questions and someone like mooseman or Leftyo or myself will be glad to help. sam.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, Sam. I've been looking through the archives for about a week now, which is where I got the idea for the Lee Handloader. Just trying to see if there is any recent products I should know about, but thanks for your guidance. I've got some reloadable 54R brass that I bought at the gunshop a couple days ago.

I neglected to mention that I will also be reloading for my Smith 9mm. I've just ordered the 7.62X54R reloader, and the 9mm. Was $35 shipped, since I had a Midway gift certificate. They should be here by Christmas day, and I can get some brass from my buddies Dad, who will help me out a bit.

Any input is greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Also,almost all powder,bullet and reloading press co. will send you a load chart if you request it on the web.Then the confusion starts.Glad you are acquainted with someone with experience.When it comes to the 9mm,stay below max.loads.That doesnt look like much powder but in a small handgun case it gets big in a hurry.Best of luck. sam.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll definitley pay attention to that. I need to get some 9mm brass, and some 9mm and 7.62 bullets and primers, once I get the machine. I'll practice a bunch before I actually start loading them. I'll let ya know in a couple days, when I get it. Thanks, and have a great Christmas.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
N2914J, welcome to world of reloading. The Lee Loader is a good tool for a few different reasons. 1. It teaches you what is involved in loading a cartridge without breaking the bank. 2. It is portable. 3. It can load some very accurate ammo. Keep in mind that it is a hand-tool only, and is Slooowwwww. It also only neck-sizes the brass, so cartridges fired in one gun may not chamber in another with this tool. It's a good learning tool as you can't really hurt yourself or your gun with it, but if you like reloading, you'll definitely want to step up to an actuall press and die setup. BTW, check your PM's. Good Luck!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Take it slow, and read, read, read. You're gonna love it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts