Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as we have all discussed...reloading does save money, but then you can shoot more...so the cost effectiveness is relative. As I am in the $$$ gathering stage of my reloading venture I am pretty sure I am going to go with a Hornady or a dillon press, since I guess I'd rather spend more and get a great press, then spend less on a Lee and have lots of plastic parts. I would also like to get a setup for 12ga for my shotgun.

So, what is the average cost per rd reloading for 12ga. I have figured and read accts of folks being able to reload .223 (which is what I will be reloading mostly) for about 12 to 13 cents a round. So what about 12ga. I have purchased it in the 100 rd value packs at walmart for just under $20. I don't shoot trap or hunt, it's purly target/plinkning fun shooting, so is it worth it to reload for my 12ga?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,605 Posts
It's getting close to the threshold of pain.

Prices are average. (Assuming you have hulls)

$45.00 25# shot average 1oz per load (400 rounds)= .11 per

$15.00 1# powder average 15 grains, 7000 grains per # (466 rounds) .03 per

$8.00 500 wads .02 per

$3.00 per 100 primers .03 per

About .19 per round.
This price can be brought down a few cents by shopping and buying in bulk, especially powder and primers. Some trap ranges also sell recycled shot. Being very frugal, you might get to .15-.16 per.

Value pack approx .20 per round.

The advantages to loading for me are custom taylored loads. With the price of lead up there (about 16.00 a bag before hitting 50.00) I down load 12ga to 7/8 oz and have recently started loading my 20ga with 3/4 oz loads on top of 12 grains of International. (of course I now have to buy a filler card)

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
wow,
it cost more to reload than buy?
i never thought i would see the day.
if you factor in your time(which isnt free) and the price of a press.
it gets ugly in a hurry.

so if those prices dont go down (and i doubt they will) it will never be cost effective for the casual shotgunner to reload.

p.s. jerry,
there are 7000 gr. in a lb.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,605 Posts
Thanks Billy, I went back and corrected the math . I did that on no cups of coffeee :) couldn't find the filters at work this morning.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
depends how and where you buy your shells. i get in on a huge group buy every year at the club, and there is no way you can reload for the prices we get. reloading shotshells is all about tailoring your load, you wont save any money.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, glad I asked. Thanks. I watched this show last night on National Geographic...Human Footprint...and they were saying that there is somewhere around a 40 year supply of lead left in the world if we keep consuming it at the rate we are currently at...and if other countries used it like we do that would go down to around 4 years...that's kind of scary...sounds like the price of ammo will never go down, only up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts