Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like reloading info for reloading 158 gr lead semi wadcutter
for 2" revolver.
I will be using win small pistol primers- winchester brass- once fired- cleaned - using a lyman press.
I have loaded for 6-& 7 1/2 Rugers-
I would like a nice mild load for wife to practice with.
I can use most pistol powders.
I am new to this forum- so Hi- hope some one with experience reloading for 2" pistol can be of some help.
Respectfully: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
148 gr LWC, 3 gr Bulls eye, over a standard small pistol primer.
You should start with 2.5 gr Bullseye and work up. When it shoots
ok stop there.

Opps, you want a 158 gr Bullet? Ok, use the same powder but start at 3.0 gr and go no higher than 4.0 gr.

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
the quicker powders like bullseye,231,clays are your best bet
look at hodgdons website they will give all kinds of data.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I would like reloading info for reloading 158 gr lead semi wadcutter
for 2" revolver.
I will be using win small pistol primers- winchester brass- once fired- cleaned - using a lyman press.
I have loaded for 6-& 7 1/2 Rugers-
I would like a nice mild load for wife to practice with.
I can use most pistol powders.
I am new to this forum- so Hi- hope some one with experience reloading for 2" pistol can be of some help.
Respectfully: [email protected]
Frankly, I'd go with a 125 grain bullet to get more velocity out of that short barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some of the reloading manuals should have recipes for short barrels. I would seek out those for safety's sake. Definitely a lighter bullet too, as Mitch_Mckee recommends. Wadcutters are good self defense rounds; 148 grains is good from a snubbie. But consult the manuals on the powder and charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to every one. The reason i stated 158 gr lwc, was because i have over 1000
I agree the 148 would be better suited- but since i have the 158- i would like to use them up. Trail Boss sounds great as i know the Cowboy shooters shoot slower loads.
Thanks again- hope to be back here again soon
Respectfully Hammer

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
i use trailboss and it is some mild stuff.
with a 4.0 gr. load i averaged 708fps.
158 gr.swc
38 sp.
ruger sp101 3 in. bbl.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Bullseye will work great out of your gun with the 158 gr bullet. I use that combo for pin shoots in pocket revolver class.

·
Registered
5 Posts
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Find a suggested load in the 800 fps range. Hodgdon uses 7.7 inch test barrels, and the faster powders that hit 700 to 900 in their data should work just fine. I would use ww231 or HP-38, which are virtually the same powder. I never warmed up to bullseye because it leaves such a slimey residue on the gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts