Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being brand new (have not purchased any equipment) and trying to make sence of the numbers; is it cost effective to invest in all the gear? All I will reload is lightweight 6,7,8 size lead for clay birds. I can buy cases of 250 shells for $44.00+tax. To those who have done this for a while, should I spend the money to get set up? I guess I can get started for under $250.
We shoot appx. 500 to 600 shells every two weeks.
thanks again,
John

·
Banned
704 Posts
Being brand new (have not purchased any equipment) and trying to make sence of the numbers; is it cost effective to invest in all the gear? All I will reload is lightweight 6,7,8 size lead for clay birds. I can buy cases of 250 shells for $44.00+tax. To those who have done this for a while, should I spend the money to get set up? I guess I can get started for under $250.
We shoot appx. 500 to 600 shells every two weeks.
thanks again,
John
I think the big issue is time to reload. If you are banging away that often, most find it better to buy than reload. If you are out for the ultimate performance then there may be something to be said for reloading. That said the Federal factory loads (if you have factored that into your costing comparison) are very good.

Also if you are doing that many rounds, I suspect you would NOT be happy with the Lee Loadall. Better to get a loader that produces a shell per cycle.

Ron

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Pretty good advice! I reloaded my shells, but I also hunted a lot.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Look at the price of Shot, Wads, Powder, and primers, and I think you will find that you can't Reload for 4.40 a box...and it is labor intensive....17.5 lbs. of shot per 250 shells...
Rich

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
best thing for hi volume shotgunning is to get together with others from your club and do a group buy. if you can get together a big enough order, you can usually shave $8-$10 off of a case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts