Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I've been loading the jap for some time and last year found out I could load 8MM Mouser brass by just resizing the neck and its a lot cheaper than Normas $1. per case, and shoots fine. I use mine for deer hunting and have done a lot of sporterizing on it. The best thing I did was put a very slight bevele , 1/6 inch or so on the top edge of the sear, that made a world of differance in the trigger pull. Just go in very small steps and keep checking to make sure the safty still works okay as you go, its easyer to take the bolt apart and put it together a bunch of times than it is to put metal back on the sear if you go too fast or too far.
After fixing the trigger pull,cutting down the barrle a few inches, bluing and adding a scope it still looked like an old military rife so I made a new thumb hole walnut stock for it, bedded the action and floated the barrle.
When you finish that's gonna be nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
30-'06 brass works just fine. However, I always anneal the neck and shoulder before running through the 7.7x58 Jap die. Annealing makes for a lot less split case necks and a lot easier shoulder reforming. Then trim to overall length as listed in your reloading manual. Commercial brass is a lot easier to work than the Mil stuff. A number of years ago I put my type '99 sporter and 4 boxes of reloads in the local want ads paper for sale. Folks beat my door down for the reloads at $20 a box but still left me with the rifle. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Got a 7.7 JAP my uncle brought back from Pearl Harbor,he passed away and I was able to get the 7.7 Mum intact but mised out on the 6.5 got the bayonet also with yellow jap writing on it.He run a wooden bottom mine sweeper found out that the jap mines were magnetic and would atache to metal hulls and then explode.My other uncle (they were both brothers of my dad) run patrol boat,I'll post pics when I find them,the patrol boat sat low in the water and everything was rounded to deflect bullets.This rifle I definetly want to shoot it has the monopod and aircraft sights intact with dust cover all matching numbers,chrome bore and bolt face are shinier than a new dime.:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I loaded up some Hornady 150 interlocks in .312 which gave me a faster bullet (about 2800 fps but my 99 seams to like the .311s better for accuracy. Settled for the .311s at 2500 fps with a Sierra 180 gr. pro-hunter that i use for hunting deer and buffalo. Only one buffalo but one shot to the brain dropped him like a sack of rocks, same bullet has taken a bunch of deer. I load Norma and Graff 7.7 brass and re-sized 8mm all with 45 gr. of IMR 3031 powder to get the 2500 fps. Only differance between the 7.7 brass and the 8mm is the sholder and that re-forms very well on the first fireing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know many of you are going to have an instant knee jerk reaction to this question and say that it is not a very wise thing to do, but bare with me. I recently acquired a rifle that I believe is chambered in 7.7 Jap, which my grandfather brought back from Japan in WW2. Here is the question. He has used it for many years as a deer rifle, it has been sporterized and was nicely done, but he said that he has used 30-06 shells in it. He says that this works fine, but it swells the case of the shell. I immediately did not think that this was a good idea, but he has been doing this since the 1960's. Is this safe? Does anyone know anything about this? I have heard somewhere that they were designed to shoot both, the Japanese shell and 30-06, but the 7.7 Jap was just big enough to not be able to be used by the US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A 30-06 is 1/4 of an inch longer than a Jap 7.7 cartridge. You won't be able to close the bolt on it. Back in the 1950's you could send your Japanese 7.7 rifle off and get it rechambered for 30-06 for $6.00. This is what has probably been done to your rifle. If this is the case I wouldn't shoot 7.7 in it again. It will blow the end of the case out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The diameter of the 7.7 case is a few thousands of an inch greater than the 30-06. It is normal for the 30-06 case to swell a little when fired in the 7.7 chamber. It should not be a problem if it doesn't swell too much.

Even though your chamber was lengthened to fit the 30-06 it still retains the 7.7 diameter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can remember my Grandfather telling me about this rifle he brought back from the war and how it was special because the "MUM" was still intact, but I was to young to really know what he was talking about. Years later I was able to take another look at it and remember thinking what a beat up piece of crap it was. Then a few decades went by and I was stationed in Japan while in the Air Force and became interested in Japans WWII history, and that old rifle. When my Grandfather passed away my Grandmother gave me the rifle and doing a little research I found out it was a Type 99, and actually in pretty good shape. Although it's missing the dust cover and the anti-aircraft wings, all the numbers match, the barrel is clean and it was made early enough in the war to be safe to fire. I finally scrounged up some Hornady 7.7 Jap at a local gun show and took it to the range last weekend. Holy Crap Batman that was fun! Then it occured to me that the last time this thing was fired was most likely by the guy my Grandfather took it off of. Kind of a sobering thought. But after being stored for more then 60 years it fired perfectly and I was able to group most of the rounds in the 7 ring at 100 yards. I figure that's not to bad using iron sights. Now I want to take it to the range again but as others have mentioned the Hornady stuff isn't cheap and it's a little hard to find in South Florida, it took me 4 months of gun shows to finally locate some, so I'd like to get into reloading the brass I already have. Since I have no experience in reloading what do I need to get started? I know you can find the dies on line but what about the press? I also have a 40 S&W pistol that would be nice to do some reloading for, can a single press do both?

Thanks guys,

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the one my Dad brought home from the war. He "sporterized" it with a saw and horse shoe rasp, I think. Has all the "miss" shot out of it. I have other fancy guns, but if I'm hitting the brush for a hog or expecting shots inside 200 yards it's the one I take. I just got on here to see what ya'll said about reloading (dang bullets is high) and thought it sounded like a good place to talk. Howdy to all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
7.7 Jap

Lee used to sell the little hand kits for reloading these. Good luck finding one now, but my buddy just bought a progressive loader. I think I can stand the price of dies. Ha! I didn't know you could resize 30-06. May have to try that. I still have a coupla boxes of Norma my Dad got years before he opened a mine in Alaska. Think we paid $5.00 a box then. That old 7.7 has been used by everyone in the family for the past 50 years and has more deer, bear and elk than everything else we have all put together. I have zero problem with putting it on a deer size target at 200 yards. Just personal issues with long shots. Hence the monniker...Flintlock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Type 99 Story

In 1946 my grandfather picked up a Japanese Type 99 Arisaka infantry rifle. One of his friends son picked it up in the Pacific War in 1943. The rifle was soon my dads childhood play rifle, he used it for cops and robbers, cowboys and indians and army man. Since 1946 the rifle has never been fired, sat in the back of my dads closet for as long as I can remember. My brother and I used to sneak in and play with it as young boys.

A few months ago, the rifle was handed down to me and at that time my dad expressed a 64 year old desire to shoot the rifle. I started my effort to source ammo for the rifle, Finally the day came when I had the ammo in hand and my dad was able to drive up, we went to the rifle range to quench the desire.

I recorded this event for posterity

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3lxR1vWfU8]YouTube - Shooting our Japanese Type 99 Arisaka[/ame]

The rifle shoots quite well. My first time ever I managed to group all 5 rounds within the 2nd ring at 100 yards with no sight adjustments. This alone is amazing considering the rough life this rifle lead while a child's play toy. The rifle has the mum intact, still has the breach dust cover, the monopod attached, the anti aircraft sights and the matching bayonet. I really like those 174gr Norma rounds but wow are they expensive, I have 2 boxes of Hornady 150gr rounds right now and have 40 once fired Norma brass to be reloaded.

My question is does anybody know the formula Norma uses on their 174gr mucho expensivo rounds? I'd like to emmulate that and remake/load them.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I know many of you are going to have an instant knee jerk reaction to this question and say that it is not a very wise thing to do, but bare with me. I recently acquired a rifle that I believe is chambered in 7.7 Jap, which my grandfather brought back from Japan in WW2. Here is the question. He has used it for many years as a deer rifle, it has been sporterized and was nicely done, but he said that he has used 30-06 shells in it. He says that this works fine, but it swells the case of the shell. I immediately did not think that this was a good idea, but he has been doing this since the 1960's. Is this safe? Does anyone know anything about this? I have heard somewhere that they were designed to shoot both, the Japanese shell and 30-06, but the 7.7 Jap was just big enough to not be able to be used by the US.
Yes for the LOVE OF GOD! DO NOT repeat DO NOT put a 7.7 in it. You will blow you gun up! I have a 7.7 mum intact and a Sporterized 7.7 re chambered for 30-06. Its very common to find sporterized 7.7s converted over the 30-06, usually they mark thats its 30-06 somewhere on the rifle.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.