Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience reloading for the 7.62 x 54 ?

I'm going with the .312 ,303 cal. 150 gr. sp pills to get a tighter grip on the rifling in hopes of better accuracy.Sluged the barrel and it came to .311 so it still should be o.k.Starting with BL-C (2) ,was wondering if theres a common powder that works well with this round?
Wouldn't think I would have to worry about the starting pressure so I'm crimping them lightly at the lower end of the cannelure,or do I need to skip the crimp and seat the bullet closer to the lands.
Primers for now are the federal 210's and Win. for brass.
Whats the best accuracy should I expect out of the 91/30 ,MOA or MOA times two.

Thanks in advance for any info.

shjf,

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
If you slugged the barrel, where did you get the .311 from? Lands or grooves?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I use .310 or .311, as .312 always seems to be pushing the neck expansion, and .308 needs to be crimped. I don't crimp the larger bullets as they don't need it.

I measure the ogive and try to get it as close to the bore as possible. usually about 2.40" to 2.45" depending on the rifle. The Finn M39 doesn't seem to like 2.45" (bolt won't close) so I need to play around with those rounds. The Russians don't seem to have this problem.

I like IMR4895 and now Hodgdon 4895 (Hodgdon is a different load).

Most times I use 174gr Sierra match HPBT, or Speer 180gr SP. Occasionally I will decap some MilSurp and use the bullets (they actually work almost as well as the more expensive match bullets).

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I've had good results with H4895 and AA 2520. I just picked up some IMR 7828 that I'll be trying soon. I like Hornady 150 sp's for hunting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts