Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a third floor apartment, and I certainly wouldn't mind doing reloading. I'm wondering however about the safety of doing so in an apartment as well as noise. Forgive my ignorance, as I've never been around when someone is reloading. My dad apparently used to do reloading before I was born, and keeps talking about how he'll take out his equipment and start reloading again, so I do save my brass and give it to him... but he's been saying that he'll start reloading again for years. I don't even know when the last time he's been shooting is.

So, what I'm wondering is how practical it would be to do reloading in my apartment. Noise is probably the biggest consideration, as I do live on the third floor.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The only noise I can foresee is setting off primers (that is unless you are like billy and create fire from snow). You will need some kind of bench to mount the press too since you are in an apartment and cant really mount it to the kitchen counter. I have seen where one person (i believe in this forum) used what appeared to be a metal step stool as their bench. Overall, I don't think noise will be an issue. I have two lap dogs that run around and jumping off things constantly and never had any issues for noise when living a third floor apt.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
reloading is safe and very quiet.
a stable small bench, preferably heavy
and you are good to go!

to make my little bench heavy i put weights on the bottom shelf.

this is a bench for a saw that i mounted my stuff on.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you are in an apartment with close neighbors,The worst noise you can make is telling any of them you are reloading cartridges. sam.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Keep it in a locked cabinet or closet. The management will see it if they have to enter for pest control, maintenance, etc. Out of sight, out of mind. If they ask, tell them your valuables are in there, and you don't want your clothes affected by the bug spray. They are supposed to give advance notice for this, so clean up primers and such.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I reloaded in a 3rd floor apartment in Gemany for years. Never a problem!

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,605 Posts
Started in an apartment.
Matter of fact, Iv'e taken my press, dies and a bunch of brass to deprime, resize and trim while in the hotel on a work trip. I have a sheet of teflon and use wood worker clamps to secure the press to the table.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
I started reloading in my bedroom at home many years ago_Old man didnt have a shed so my room was the go.I had a bar stool with my lee turret press mounted on it and my powder thrower mouted on the side.Had ice cream containers vice gripped on the side to hold before and after shells.I should have taken a pic of this rig but that was before i owned a camera.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Noise not a problem. Space might be a problem.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I reload in an apartment using a portable stand similar to Billy's.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,605 Posts
I can't catch snow on fire, but have gotten pretty good at writing my name in it over the years.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you don't plan on reloading in mass numbers right now, the Lee Handloader is really good. I use mine to reload my .348 and it takes a while but sitting infront of the tv it's fine.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
I dont like loading with the TV on.Too many distractions.The radio is better.And mates can also make reloading difficult unless they are helping.
i dont watch tv and i dont have any mates.
no wonder i get so much reloading done!

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
i dont watch tv and i dont have any mates.
no wonder i get so much reloading done!
But you have Mateys! AAaarrrgggghhhhh! BTW reloading is welcome on the good ship Pigsticker!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts