Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have an unheated shed and was wondering if storing components and actually reloading in there in the winter was feasible?
it gets and stays cold in that metal shed 5 months of the year.
in the summer its broiling in the day and in the 40's at night.
will the temperature extremes do anything to powder/ primers ?
my house is too small for a reloading setup, and i hate setting up and breaking down so i can eat at the kitchen table.
i cannot heat the shed. its too small also.
just trying to think of a way without moving to a bigger place.
thanks BILL:sad2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
i
my house is too small for a reloading setup, and i hate setting up and breaking down so i can eat at the kitchen table.
Have you looked at a Workmate table? Here's a link

Craftsman 65796 Height Adjustable Clamping Table at Sears.com

I used one for a long time in a one bedroom apartment. It will hold a press and powder measure and only takes up about 2 1/2 square feet of floor space. I ended up screwing a square of 3/4 plywood to the top for more support but it worked very well in a small space.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Primers are tough stuff but on a re-loading forum I'm on several members have experienced duds in primers left in original containers under those types of condition.

If you kept them in a small airtight container it would help. I would do the same with powder...basically see if you can put the primers and powder inside an airtight container and then put that container inside another air tight container.

Once it's loaded it will take abuse. I leave alot of loaded ammo in a cabin in Northern Minnesota year round some of which is 25 years old now and it always goes boom.

So that's the key I'd say...small air tight containers.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the cold wont bother any of the components. condensation and extreme heat will however affect your components. powder and primers need to be stored where its cool, and dry.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
My personal experience of unheated buildings is everything oxidizes.I put my wirefeed welder in an unheated garage and the copper plated wire rusted.The stick welder,the flux on the rods became flakey and the rods rusted.I had an old upright freezer and stored both loaded and empty casings in it with the door closed.The copper coroded and the steel on shotgun shells rusted as well as all the cardboard getting wet.I left the door open and it was better but still oxidized metal.Guns that were stored in either the pole building or the garage rusted,especially the bore.I would not advise trying to store anything without some climate control.When I went to Nam I packed 8 rifles with all purpose grease.Almost 8 years later when I cleaned the grease out they were rusted beyond saving.Had they been cleaned and oiled and kept at room temperature I believe they would have been okay.This is my personal experience. samuel.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I don't think the shed thing is going to work too good for you long-term. I would be more worried about condensation and such given the temp. extremes.

I know you said there is no way to heat/cool the shed, but have you thought about one of the small window unit heat pumps. It will heat and cool. That and a little insulation may fix your problem.

Otherwise, you may want to do what I did at my last house - I appropriated a corner of the spare bedroom and set up a small desk, a small reloading table and my gun safe. The wife didn't like it much, but after I reminder here who paid the mortgage, she relented (more or less) - at least she didn't throw anything out the front door!

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what i am going to have to do.
turn my xtra bedroom(which is my computer room now) into a dedicated gun room. i am going to start reloading in earnest for .45acp and .308/7.62x54r/303 brit/.8mm /.38/.357
i am going to bite the bullet hehe and buy a GOOD progressive reloading setup.
all my other crap is going in the shed!(that i have yet to buy!)
well thanks for the advice once again! BILL

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well, Billy, since I have yet to start reloading and I have .308 and 7.62x54R (and .40S&W, which you don't have) guns.... do you intend on getting rid of that "old crap"? :D

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my other crap is my bike ,summer clothes,fishing gear,power tools ,books.
im keeping my reloading crap!
nice try though.
cant hurt to ask eh?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
*chuckle* Nope, never hurts to ask... I mean, I might end up with a free AK or free Model 70. *smirk*

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
for ak's you got to go to the dump.
for model 70's you gotta sit in the couch and answer the door

oh yeah you gotta sit on the couch for the .357 also

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
billy have you considered buying a portable building thats finished on the inside or you can finish out yourself ?
You can move it when you need to move and put one of those window units in the window or wall for AC and Heat. OR this just came to mind a small used self contained camper. Just my thoughts...A.H

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im going to use a bedroom

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i forced a useable space out of my tiny office.
the space i have allocated is 3x5 ft. i will just cram it in here!

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Way to go Billy.Will you have room for some of my junk I dont use but may some day? samuel.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Way to go Billy.Will you have room for some of my junk I dont use but may some day? samuel.
oh you bet! i will just stack it in front of my TV:09:

·
Registered
1 Posts
reloading in winter

I do believe that temperature extreams such as you mention do effect at least powders. If you don't keep powder at a reasonably cool temp (though not frozen), and dry, it will change it's burning characteristics.
you could keep your components in the house until you where ready to reload with them, then return the finished ammo, and the unused components to the house when done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts