Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm some of the lake city 3006 ammo I came across some that the primer was off center, has any one else seen this?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
I'm still saving LC brass to reload. I need to get dies yet, I'll checkit out first chance I get.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
That may work fine Shaun. Good idea.
That means I need to go shoot up some more LC to get the brass. Ddarn the bad luck :)

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
Thanks again Shaun.
I got to thinking more about what 7mmag was saying and got curious. I have an RCBS universal decapper so I thought what the heck. I'd get these cases deprimed, cleaned and the crimp swage removed. That way all we have to do is stuff 'em and rock on.
The first few went ok. Then, I broke my first decapper pin in 15 years of doing this. A few more through the decapper and bam, bent pin (felt it before it broke) Inspected the culprit case and looky there. The danged hole is off center! I have never seen this on .308 LC brass, just this -06. This speciman was LC66.
I guess I'll try to look down the case with a mini mag before trying them again.
It's not just you 7mmag, seems to be going around. The pic is ok, it is definitely off center. The shadow throws it a bit.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
This batch of brass is a wash. I thought I'd be slick and beat it. I took the shell holder off the ram, hand fed the brass up the decapper feeling for the primer hole. Then, I'd bring the ram up and punch the primer. This kept the pin from breaking, but bent it when it went through an off center primer hole.

Looks like a different lot of LC or commercial brass for the Garand.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea I talked to some other people about this, its de-linked machine gun stuff. It seems most of the brass has this problem

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I ran into this same stuff once and so I deprimed with a long pin punch and a hammer, them removed the pin from the die and reloaded it. I marked the boxes so when I shot it again, the brass went in the trash, lot of good brass available !

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,594 Posts
Not a bad idea. Definitely trash that brass the second tima around. Not worth the trouble twice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts