Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother in law is trying to tell me somethings to do with reloading and i dont really beleive him
to be honest ithin hes talking out his !!!

i can understand that a bullet on maxium load could cause the bolt to explde back at you or blow the magazine out , hes trying to tell me if you didnt put enought powder in then it would blow the bolt back , i would have thought that it would just mean a very slow moving bullet or a projectile stuck in the barrel

he is also trying to tell me it doesnt matter on the weight of the bullet to kill and animal

which i supose if you hit it inthe right spot it would go down
an hes trying to tell me that it doesnt matter on the expansion of the bullet that a normal soft point bullet does the same as a hollow point and expands and penetrates like a ballistic tipped bullet

i thought that on some game you want a bullet that can penetrat that bit further than expand in the heart lung area ( im talking about deer or feral pigs ) he trying to tell me that there no advantage with ballistic tip etc

can someone clear this up

cause hes just going against what small amount on reloading i knew

·
Registered
767 Posts
auspighunter said:
my brother in law is trying to tell me somethings to do with reloading and i dont really beleive him
to be honest ithin hes talking out his !!!

i can understand that a bullet on maxium load could cause the bolt to explde back at you or blow the magazine out , hes trying to tell me if you didnt put enought powder in then it would blow the bolt back , i would have thought that it would just mean a very slow moving bullet or a projectile stuck in the barrel

he is also trying to tell me it doesnt matter on the weight of the bullet to kill and animal

which i supose if you hit it inthe right spot it would go down
an hes trying to tell me that it doesnt matter on the expansion of the bullet that a normal soft point bullet does the same as a hollow point and expands and penetrates like a ballistic tipped bullet

i thought that on some game you want a bullet that can penetrat that bit further than expand in the heart lung area ( im talking about deer or feral pigs ) he trying to tell me that there no advantage with ballistic tip etc

can someone clear this up

cause hes just going against what small amount on reloading i knew
You are given both MINIMUM and MAXIMUM load data, because under powdering a round CAN cause it to explode just as easy as over powdering it. it is all tied into the speed at which the powder burns in relation to the compression involved.

just stick to the published load data and you will be fine.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tell your brother in law he's talking out of his !!!. I think it's time he did a bit of reading.
I don't think he's right about one thing:(

Stephen

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Too little powder without any buffering material specially in a magnum caliber
makes for one heckuva hangfire if nothing else. Mostly if you overpower a load you get split cases or blown caseheads and difficulty opening the bolt. Most modern rifles will handle some kinda pressures without blowing up and with the locking lugs used on most bolt guns the bolt flying back isn't very likely to happen. Either way too much or too little is detrimental to the rifles overall well being and yours too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but why would you put less than recommended minimum in a round unless ur really stupid
i just stick to my ADI poweder reloading books

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,142 Posts
auspighunter said:
but why would you put less than recommended minimum in a round unless ur really stupid
i just stick to my ADI poweder reloading books
Welp, I'm really stupid. I undercharged some .45 ACP rounds using a little dandy powder measure. They fired fine, but failed to feed a fresh round from the magazine. Yes, I spot checked the thrower with the scale. By fate, every loading I spot checked was ok. This was evident by having only a failure every now and then.

You get real good at clearing drills when this happens. Just have to be extra carefull from bore obstructions.

Moral of the story. Be carefull metering Hodgdon Clays. Oh yeah, try not to be really stupid ;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Light loading is fine, with the RIGHT powder!!

When using slower burning rifle powders they can and will create excessive pressures if under charged, same as too much.

Yet, with a fast burning powder: Red Dot, Clays, Unique, H110, H4227, and others for shotguns and pistols. Work just great in rifles for cast bullets and light plinkers, target loads etc.

Some of the guys at the CMP match's use 15gr H110 with 165gr cast bullets for 200yds and do a great job of winning many times.

For plinkers and to teach women and kids how to shoot the big guns without getting hurt by recoil, much of the time indoors at 50'. I load from 3.5 to 7 gr Red Dot with 115gr cast RN's. They are very accurate out to about 75-100feet. No recoil at all, light noise too. Excellent for the smaller people and to shoot indoors at the pistol range where otherwise we cannot shoot a big rifle without destroying things.

Study those reloading books!!!

George

·
Registered
274 Posts
It is possible to get a phenomenon called detonation with a severely reduced charge of powder though I believe this is more likely in rifle than pistol cartrdges. When detonation occurs it is not due to normal rapid burning of the powder but a true explosion. My recollection is that this is a very hard thing to do on purpose for the sake of an engineering study. Most people will find that when they reduce charges lower than the tables, they reach a point where the bullet lodges in the barrel, an obvious danger for the next round chambered. It's always a good idea to visually inspect charged cases for over/under charges before seating the bullet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
(Quote: Most people will find that when they reduce charges lower than the tables, they reach a point where the bullet lodges in the barrel, an obvious danger for the next round chambered.)
If the bullet lodges in the barrel...the pressure has to go SOMEWHERE. This can absolutely harm the bolt, It can ALSO 'ring' the barrel right behind the bullet (make a bubble in the barrel.) It can also ruin the throat and chamber area from gases being forced back along the sides of the brass.
Also...with light rifle powder charges in large cases...if you go below appx 40% case capacity, you can get (S.E.E./Secondary Explosion Effect). Instead of the powder being ignited at the primer end....the primer flash runs up the side of the exposed powder and the pressure spikes before the bullet can leave the barrel. So you get BOOM in the chamber, and then BOOM in the barrel, ie 'secondary explosion.' Normally, with a proper load.....slow rifle powders will burn gradually as the bullet moves down the barrel. This is why most of the big magnums usually have a slightly longer barrel.
Some of your Brother in Law's ideas sound a bit far fetched and maybe fanatical and opinionated.....but he is RIGHT in advising caution when learning to re-load. He put some doubts and fears in your head, and 'rightly so', now you are checking it out and 'double checking' your data....that is a good thing. He might be somewhat of a nut, but you should thank him for caring about your well being. You should also thank him for helping preserve some of the little things that we all take for granted....like Eyes, Ears, your Face.....Maybe he might know somebody that likes to look at your face.... without a lot of scars and deformity.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i have an old copy of nick harveys reloadingg book that has the powder we use
but would be good to up date it
how old is the guy ,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i stilll buy sporting shooter but there aint much on pigs ne more especially wif the drought , not many let in nsw , mainly queensland and gulf country
the should come back wif the rain though

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
auspighunter said:
i stilll buy sporting shooter but there aint much on pigs ne more especially wif the drought , not many let in nsw , mainly queensland and gulf country
]the should come back wif the rain though[/QUOTE
Rain? its rained a lil bit out south western QLD where I go, but here in the south east where I live? Its bad bad bad... dunno what we gunna do for water if it doesnt rain soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts