Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm wanting to get into reloading but don't really know what to do. I have heard the RCBS kits are ok for around $280. I am wanting to make match target rounds that are all consistant. Would a turret press be the way to go? I'm doing this also to start saving money on ammo costs. I don't want to get a crazy amount of cash wrapped up in this or it will take 20 years to pay itself off. I'm open for any advice.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Either a single or turet will work.The advantage to a turet is you can set all of the dies up and they are all ready so you dont have to switch dies on every stage.Hope you get started.Reloading books are the most important thing starting out. sam.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i would get a couple of reloading manuals, read them throoughly, then decide what you want to buy. RCBS is good quality stuff.

·
Banned
704 Posts
For quality target loading you want to weigh every powder load. I trust the balance beam type of scales the most. Don't bother with a powder measure. The turret type is for speed. The O type single station presses are more rigid, and at least in theory would provide better quality control.

There is nothing wrong with the Lee equipment. A good quality basic component would be the Lee Cast Classic press which sell in the $75 range. Agree with the comments made earlier that the best starting point is to buy a reloading manual so you are sure what you are getting into. The minimum basic components needed are:

Press including primer feed arm
Die set
Shell holder
Balance beam scales
Powder funnel

Lee make it all, and if you shop around you can probably get all you need for $150-200. STP is a good case lube. Later you will need a case trimer. Lee make a very inexpensive and effective one which works with a drill. Works like a charm.

Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Lee Classic Cast Press

Ron

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Stay away from Lee If you want precision ammo...
RCBS, Lyman, and Redding make some of the best equipment and Guaranteed as well...I use a Lyman Turret press, a Texas Turret, and A Lyman Single Stage.
The Turrets produce just as precision Reloads as the Single stage, they do it Faster. Get RCBS Micrometer Dies and you will be able to dial your Precision loads in to
meet your demands...Ive been doing reloading since 1973...Hundreds of thousands of rounds... I will Not use Lee Stuff Ever again. From Experience....
Buy Good quality Now, it will last the rest of your life and then some !!!
Rich

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i agree, i wouldnt own lee. now as far as a turret vs single stage. the advantage of the turret is you dont have to set up dies each and every time. the turret presses are quite capable of making great ammo. ive been using a RCBS turret for 5+ years now, and accuracy is not an issue.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
I would love to get into reloading. Not necessarily just for the savings on ammo, or to have the ammo to shoot, I'd just like to do it. Someday maybe I will. Right now it's a space issue and a cash flow problem. Even if the cash flow problem were to resolve itself, as long as I'm where i am, I'll always have the space problem.

Unless of course I can sell a '73 Dodge Charger 2dr coupe I started to build up. Then I'd not only have the cash, but the space in the garage to do it. Any offers? lol

G-Meister

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
My vote: Get the reloading manual for the bullets you want to start with and READ it; Get a RCBS Single Stage Kit; Ditto with the mic dies; Good luck! Remember, you've always got a friendly database here!

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
no one has mentioned Dillon reloading equipment, it is good stuff and they have an excellent warranty, no questions just replacement if it breaks.
steve

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I've been using a Lyman turret press since the early '80s and I love it. I had a RCBS progressive press and got rid of it because it was such a pain to keep running. the Dillon is much better but I still prefer the turret.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I have a turret that I use for pistol ammo. I do feel however that I have more control over the process, and control means accuracy here, when I use my Rockchucker, Mic Dies, 1010 Scale, and Powder Trickler. Just one old man's opinion however!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don`t re-load for pistol cartridges so I don`t have a need for a powder measure.You may not need one either as the coarser cylindrical powders used in most larger rifle cases will not meter properly anyway.I feel that weighing your charge on a good balance beam powder scale is the best method for the average hand-loader not dealing with high volume pistol rounds.What the hell,its a hobby not a race. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and a Lee 2001 Challenger and am happy with both.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i have always had a powder thrower and cant or dont want to imagine doing without.
it makes it really easy and quick.
i have never made a round without one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have a RCBS rockchucker press single stage and have had it for over 30 years, a few months ago I had to replace some parts primer arm and primer tray,rcbs replaced the parts,parts/postage free!!!!!!!!!!!I would do as others have suggested purchase some good books on reloading and read, for a beginner i would go with a single stage easier to learn, from the savings i would use the money to purchase a good scale, case prep tools and gauges. thats my opinion! I'm going to take the liberty to say that; if you do a considerable amount of shooting you will see a savings of approximately 50 percentI don't know what you pay in your area for match ammo but the going price i see in the gun shops is anywhere from $ 25.oo to $30.oo+ for a box of 20. might as well get your powder bulk if you can? usualy a little cheaper if you can buy bulk primers/ bullets.I don't know what the laws are like in your state? but,you can mail order gun powder primers bullets, come next year who knows??

·
Registered
40 Posts
i would use the rockchucker press because it will force you to pay close attention to each step of reloading wich is important for target loads.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i started with the lee anniversary kit.
i wanted to know if i even liked doing it before i spent much moolah.
it turns out to be something i like to do so i found a used setup and have been happily reloading ever since.

p.s.
every chance i get i buy another reloading manual as well as data from powder and bullet manufacturers.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i started with the lee anniversary kit.
i wanted to know if i even liked doing it before i spent much moolah.
it turns out to be something i like to do so i found a used setup and have been happily reloading ever since.

p.s.
every chance i get i buy another reloading manual as well as data from powder and bullet manufacturers.

This is good advice, Billy. I did about the same. You can never have too much info. and I too have several manuals..used reloading epuipment is what I look for when my wife drags me to a garage sale....you would be surprised.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts