Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if about 30 year old surplus ammo would be re-loadable after being used, i have never reloaded before and have saved all my brass just in case.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Take a look at the inside of the brass. If there is one flash hole, you're good. If there are two flash holes, toss it.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Yea, it's hard to find the Berdan primers and harder to get them out. It can be done, but if you don't have all the components to make it work, then poo.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Well...... for someone completely new to reloading, I would say no.

Now if you have some prvi surplus berdan primed (has to be brass not steel), you can convert the berdan pocket to boxer, but it is a labored process. With Prvi surplus at about 28 cents at Weidners (all brass not steel), compared to 45 cents to a dollar for unfired brass, I am going to give it a try. Process uses a ball bearing to swage the pocket. http://users.ameritech.net/mchandler/primer.html

Berdan to Boxer Conversion Method - Handloading - Military Surplus Ammunition and Handloading - ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums - Message Board

·
Registered
236 Posts
As the others have said, its possible but difficult. At the very least, you have brass that has value for recycling and the proceeds can be used for reloading components.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Well...... for someone completely new to reloading, I would say no.

Now if you have some prvi surplus berdan primed (has to be brass not steel), you can convert the berdan pocket to boxer, but it is a labored process. With Prvi surplus at about 28 cents at Weidners (all brass not steel), compared to 45 cents to a dollar for unfired brass, I am going to give it a try. Process uses a ball bearing to swage the pocket. http://users.ameritech.net/mchandler/primer.html
What do you mean by prvi "surplus"? The "regular" prvi partizan stuff is completely reloadable though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can sell it at scrap yards that buy steel. Not to long ago you could get a nice sum for brass. I sold 4lbs for about $15. They buy it buy the pound so you do need a lot.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
What do you mean by prvi "surplus"? The "regular" prvi partizan stuff is completely reloadable though.

The range I shoot at implimented a stupid "no steel" rule, bullet core or case (they do a quick magnet check). So I found these online and the price is super cheap (compared to $13 for 20).

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

They are PRVI all brass case with berdan primers. I will flash form these to my carbine and then bearing swage the pockets to accept boxer.
I usually reload cast bullets over regular PRVI brass, but cases formed to my Izzy wont fit my Tula Hex, so I want to rack up about 40 cases for my Tula.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will flash form these to my carbine and then bearing swage the pockets to accept boxer.
Remember to remove the berdan anvil and drill a flash hole in the center. I'm sure you know that but please don't leave out something that important....new folks learn everything they read!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Your right DM, the process has 5 important steps, Decap, swage, pocket flatten and refine, flash hole drilling and then fit new primer. The pic is from the article, Berdan to boxer by M, Chandler. , the case in the pic is a Swiss GP11 but the principle is the same.

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
It is possible. I have even done it with steel cased stuff. The primers tend to back out on anything but the lightest loads though and you can only get one load with the steel case, but w/e. It was a fun summer project.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
i might consider using the berdan primers the link showed, but i sure as heck am not going to go to all the trouble to prep the cases for boxer primers. now that i think about it, i'm gonna haul the brass barrel to the recyclers and sell it to buy some boxer brass in 7.62x54. before i get tempted to buy those berdan primers.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
i might consider using the berdan primers the link showed, but i sure as heck am not going to go to all the trouble to prep the cases for boxer primers. now that i think about it, i'm gonna haul the brass barrel to the recyclers and sell it to buy some boxer brass in 7.62x54. before i get tempted to buy those berdan primers.

If you use the Berdan primers, you don't have to do any case converting, so what's the problem.

I would still only do it for brass Milsurp cases though. I tried to do some Wolf .223 steel cases that were boxer primed. Could not seat a bullet without shaving off some jacket material.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
i didn't say there was any problem using berdan primers. it would be an extra unneeded headache trying to get the old primers out though. oh and the fact that once in a while you'll mix up the brass and try and punch a berdan primer with a boxer die and break the decapping pin off (unless you use lee) and the fact that you'll need to modify a die to remove the decapper if you full length resize, say for a psl or svt.
just too much easier to avoid the headache. now if we were talking about a hard caliber to get brass for, that would be a whole different story.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts