Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to pistol reloading. I purchase some .452 Lead Round nose and they seem to be too big for the cases as they are bulging a bit. I am using a Lee 4 hole turret press with lee carbide dies, winchester primers and Unique powder. Are these the wrong bullets? I hope it is just some adjustments to the dies. Any advice? Thanks.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,725 Posts
.452 is a standard size for lead. MAy want to mic the bullet to make sure they are what they say. Check for excess lube, never seen it but could add diameter. Try a different case headstamp, might just be the cases albiet unlikely.
Are you putting the propper bell on the case? It should be just enought to get the bullet to feed into the case w/o shaving the lead or deforming the case.
Have you loaded other rounds on this die set? The sizer die could be built out of tolerance.
I'd be interested in your findings.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's probably your bullets. Like Jerry says, I'll bet they are oversize just enough. Bummer.

FYI - It's not a die adjustment problem.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Check to be sure the bullets you have ARE for .45 ACP and NOT Long COlt (LC).

There is enough difference in curvature shape that LC will not chamber in .45 ACP.

BTW, neither of my 1911s will take the .452 diameter (they won't go full battery in the chamber) but only the .451s.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I havent used the Lee turret press but I can tell you that if the die isnt set correctly on the Lee single stage it will bulge the cases big time.
It sounds like the crimp or roll crimp isnt set correctly and starts the crimp before the bullet is fully seated. Screw the die body out a turn (more or less) so it doesnt crimp at all and then work with it from there for the final adjustment.
The .452 lead shouldnt be a problem to load but like Dale said, all guns have their favorite bullet.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yeah, like Snakebite said, back your die out a widdle bit and see what happens... Or run the seater down past the crimper...Ort not put a roll crimp on a .45ACP...Stick with taper crimp. Might also make sure your casing, your bullet and your die are lining up good and straight. Oh yeah, don't drink and reload. (story behind that one)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Come to remember I did have to buy a Lee Factory Crimp die for a particular run of .45 ACp loads to get them to chamber.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am new to pistol reloading. I purchase some .452 Lead Round nose and they seem to be too big for the cases as they are bulging a bit. I am using a Lee 4 hole turret press with lee carbide dies, winchester primers and Unique powder. Are these the wrong bullets? I hope it is just some adjustments to the dies. Any advice? Thanks.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this. Just curious as to the cure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same trouble at first....I drop my seating to .250 and things look good threw all my shells.
I use win. 45 / 230 LRN / cci 300 prims. / w231 powder. I was going nuts at first due to nothing would work and a friend from a reloading store drop by and she show mehow her father work it out.
Each weapon is diff. as for the barrel and the deapth is diff ..fac calls for 275 and that is with a FMJ...with the 230 LRN the nose is shorter so the seating will change...use dummies rounds at first tile you get the right seating and then load 8 rounds and go to the range.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Come to remember I did have to buy a Lee Factory Crimp die for a particular run of .45 ACp loads to get them to chamber.
Beat me to it. Was going to say a Lee FCD would probably fix the problem. I use one and set my bullet seating die for no crimp whatsoever.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Fcd

+1 on the FCD, I use one 100% of the time. All my rounds gauge correctly. Sometimes, depending on the bullet, the case is visibly burnished by the carbide ring in the FCD. The cases all gauge perfectly and function perfectly. Since I only shoot at 25', there is no perceivable loss of accuracy
DocAitch

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
do they fit the gun?
thats all that matters if they are bulging the case i bet the case is sizing the cast boolits down for you which could lead to your next question.......
sometimes one brand of brass is just thicker than another.
thats is the reason i don't use the lot of remington brass i have in my boy's 1911 but they work perfectly in mine,with boolits sized to 452,and if i size to 451 they tend to leave lead streaks in his bbl.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
There should be a slight buldge on the brass where the bullets base is, this is normal. It is more obvious with some brass than others. I never use a lee carbide crimp die with cast bullets. What is the point of using .452" bullet and then squeezing the bullets down with the Lee die(it sizes the brass, and therefore the bullet)? I love them with jacketed bullets especially magnum loads with slow powder but not with cast bullet loads.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
You did not state WHERE the bulge is.

Is it at the base of the brass case?

Is it in the middle?

Is it just below where the bullet seats to?

How much of a bulge? What does it mic out to?

Is it NEW brass, or previously fired brass?

Did you size the brass (run it through the sizing/decapping die) BEFORE you tried to load it?

All the answers to these questions will have a direct bearing on the solution to your question.

Until we have these answers, everyone is guessing at what the problem is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts