Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
moving my question here. sorry if this has been asked before but I tried the search...

anyway, where can I get bullets & dies for the 7.62x54R. Can I use 7.7mm japanese bullets (since its .311 dia). I don't understand all this metric business too well...I'm a beginner reloader so please be patient :)

I've a ton of nice winchester once-fired brass and I'm not gonna waste it.

edit: I found the dies on midwayusa btw. still don't know about the bullets.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yes you can. Why load when there is so much milsurp out there. Wolf has a match grade round. Most of the stuff is steel cased. I too consider myself as a beginning reloader. Have had some success with 30-06 for my Savage 110. Will be getting into reloading .223 soon.
If you have gun shows, you might find a die set there.
kkb

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my dies from midway - going to try it out sometime soon. Got .311 bullets.
reloading is fun :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
gunssb wrote, "I've a ton of nice winchester once-fired brass and I'm not gonna waste it."
This Winchester brass, what kind is it?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like regular shiny yellow brass (not plated or anything) but its much better than the surplus crap.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Guns, Your saying Winchester makes shiny yellow 762x54R brass?
Help me. I'm corn-fussed.
How bout 762x39? They make a ton of it.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got some winchester 7.62x54R ammo from cheaperthandirt for a lot cheaper than retail (like $10 a box) - the brass is from that. dunno about x39...

also, midwayusa has lapua & norma brass but it looks fugly. And norma brass is $20 per 20! duh - wouldn't I just buy the ammo use it and have nice once fired yellow cuties ???

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well hot dam! Winchester sure as sh.....rain does produce 762x54R. Will have to run some through my Tokerrev and 91-30. I checkout CTD.
Where did you find reloading data for the round? I remember it loaded slightly more that Brit 303.
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lee's book has the data. I'm still waiting for the hornady books but hopefully that should have it too. The Speer manual does not as far as I know. Let me know if you want me look up a load.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My Hornady book does not have it or the two Speer manuals. Thanks but not ready to take on another unimportant project. My new unimportant problem will soon be loading the .223 for CMP Bushmaster Target AR with 1 in 8" twist. Bushmaster even has starting recommedations for pimer, powder, cases useing 80 grain bullet. Will do posts later
If you post recipe, I'll copy it down and file it in personal "Kguns" file.
Keep us posted on results. It's always fun to to read the results.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
when i reload mine i just use .308 dia bullets. ive had no trouble at all and get great accuracy too. if you go to hornadys web site they have data there. i have also used data for a 308 win when reloading the 7.62x54r. works great . and i also use only winchester brass. that stuff just cant be beat.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
FWIW, the Win. brand aka "white box" ammo is actually manufactured by S&B in Czechoslovakia. The S&B branded ammo is virtually identical and is usually a little cheaper. Graf & Son is an excellent source for components and tools (dies,etc). I recommend slugging your barrel to determine what bullet dia. to use even though a lot of guys use .308's exclusively with excellent results. Keep in mind that almost every die manufacturer out there uses a .308 expander so if you intend to use .311's or .312's, you may want to use an expander to match so you dont get the ugly ridge in the neck and also overwork the brass in the neck.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
FWIW, the Win. brand aka "white box" ammo is actually manufactured by S&B in Czechoslovakia. The S&B branded ammo is virtually identical and is usually a little cheaper. Graf & Son is an excellent source for components (they have cheap brass $27.00\100) and tools (dies,etc). I recommend slugging your barrel to determine what bullet dia. to use even though a lot of guys use .308's exclusively with excellent results. Keep in mind that almost every die manufacturer out there uses a .308 expander so if you intend to use .311's or .312's, you may want to use an expander to match so you dont get the ugly ridge in the neck and also overwork the brass in the neck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts