Reloading tools

Discussion in 'Reloading Equipment' started by Slugfest, May 23, 2020.

1. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas

Slugfest and Mowgli T. like this.
  2. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    We could use some more information from OP. I would share my experience reloading 240 Gebby Supervarminter or 40 S&W. It would would help if I knew which cartridge. A drop tube is necessary for some cartridges but not 9mm Luger. You see what I mean?

Slugfest and goat roper like this.

3. Kellen

Kellen G&G Evangelist

The basics will serve you well. It will cost your wallet pain, but when you advance to the level of trying to achieve significant accuracy with home loads I would suggest some added equipment. That's when you may want to look at what 21st Century Shooting has to offer. Don't want to advertise for them (don't know 'em and have no affiliation), but as an objective user found their products to be top tier, particularly their concentricity gauge and powered neck turning lathe. (And not made in China!)

Slugfest likes this.
  4. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    20200519_111220.jpg One piece of gear that I use often with handguns is a case gauge. You can head off problems and allow cobwebs to grow on the bullet puller. The gauges that work best for me measure one case at a time. There are some expensive gauges that will do a hundred cases at a time. Not so sure about those.

My latest haul: The very best place to search for reloading gear is second hand. This is my latest second hand haul. Point also is that anybody can see this pile of stuff. MT, you need a vibelflitzer to get that green thing to work. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot on what MT needs.

Hope everybody is doing well. Got a call from the Health Department reporting negative results on my plague test. Take care and be safe.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    TXplt, Dutch and Slugfest like this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Handloading is an ever-evolving activity. New gadgets are always being developed. Over time you will try new gadgets, keep some and discard some. I have a "junk box" of those that didn't prove useful, or simply failed. Others I have two of, like two Lee hand priming tools - one set up for small primers, one for large primers. Saves me time not have to keep changing one tool.

Slugfest likes this.
  6. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I have two older generations of Lee priming tools. The most recent, two of them, had the clear plastic lid disintegrate. The very first Lee tool with threaded shell holder has not been used for years. Handgun rounds are primed on the Dillon. Now for rifle it's two RCBS older priming devices that work great. No plastic there. Fact of the matter it is not unknown for the older gear to be stored away. Who knows, we may need it one day. Handloaders have been know to have all the signs and symptoms to the outside world as hoarders.

If into reloading we move through gear depending on needs at the time. Many of use started with a Lee Classic Turret press and gear. Today it's a Dillon or similar. What wrong with the Lee? Nothing. We just change over time. Sometimes the change is done only for the better. Other times it's because we like the bells and whistles. During all this comes the light that some of the big ticket stuff is a boondoggle.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Dutch and Slugfest like this.
  7. Slugfest

Slugfest G&G Regular

Potential for reloading: 9mm, 40ca S&S, 223, 308, 7mm mag, win 300 mag and 7.62x39. I plan on making the 40ca my first reloading practice because I am going to phase the gun out, so if it malfunctions or explodes because of a poor reload it is not so significant. I am trying to decide between the 7mm mag and the win 300 mag; the 223 and the 7.62x39 You et so attached to the little critters though...

8. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Slugfest: Will your Hornady Progressive press reload your magnum rifle rounds? Be careful. There is no need to harm you or the handgun. Just be careful.

Slugfest likes this.
  9. Slugfest

Slugfest G&G Regular

Thanks for the thought! They sell dies for all of the ammo that I might reload...so I was assuming that it will. How can I confirm this?

10. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

A bit off topic but that is one nice thing about the Dillon SQB. Most of the tool storage and extra die/powder measure storage is on the press or organized nicely on an accessory. I don't lose those little indexing pins.

11. Slugfest

Slugfest G&G Regular

Good thing to think about! I bought the Hornady because it was on sale for $360 (saved more than $100, or the cost of 2 dies). Survey of the web said it was good quality and durable, and accessories were readily available. According to most reviews it was #2 or #3, but I felt it was good enough for my use!

TXplt likes this.
  12. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Check out the website. There is a shell plate for the magnums that should work for 7mm or 300WM. I really do not know anything about the Hornady Progressive but was able to find info on the website. It's possible to get answers from the company with information on the website. When you get into reloading one gets the knack of digging out information. Hope all this works out for you. Be mindful of not putting too much on your plate starting out.

Slugfest likes this.
  13. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    Not likely you will blow up your 40, and pretty preventable. Only way to do that is the wrong powder or more likely a double charge. Most of us started reloading by placing the casings in a loading block and adding powder, just to shine a flashlight into them and in seconds a double check would catch any double load. Or just use a bulky powder and a double charge would overflow.

goat roper, Mowgli T. and Slugfest like this.