Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to start reloading. I'd be reloading .223, .270, possibly 7.65x54r, and eventually .243wssm as soon as that build is done.

My question is, what do you guys recommend starting with as far as a reloading setup? Should I get a kit or buy individual parts? I don't mind spending a little more for digital stuff if it's really worth it, but wanted some input first...

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
ive shown this before but my advice still stands:
.i just bought the lee anniversary kit,with manual and i dont know anything about reloading .i went to the library and through interlibrary loan borrowed a stack of reloading books.since i am only reloading for my 308 for now i copied the sections on that caliber from each book( i cant afford to buy 10 or so different books)that way i ended up with a lot if information for cheap! as you do your homework you will notice that most people will tell you to have a few different manuals.this way between the internet and all those books you will be able to make informed choices. good luck and have fun! bill P.S. get in touch with different powder and bullet manufacturers they will send you load data sheets,sierra and hodgdon are two of the most helpful of any kind of companies ive ever seen!

·
Registered
362 Posts
cabelas offers a real nice kit from lyman. A turret press, able to hold 6 different dies, at a time so you won't be changine them out all the time, and it alos offers a digital scale/thrower which I think is great for rifle ammo. but shop around a little, see what kits are out there. And like billy said either buy or copy a couple of load books. Also a good site to check out is handloads.com, for some additional mixes

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
You can save a lot of money by buying good used equipment at gun shows and pawn shops. I have 3 presses, 2 of which are Turrets that I paid 20 bucks for at gun shows, Dies are usually 15 to 20 dollars, Scales are 25 dollars , powder measures, I have 3 that I paid 20 -25 dollars for and a case trimmer was 30.00.
Midway USA offers an RCBS Starter kit for 229.99 and a Master kit with a powder measure for 259.99, If you want Brand new ! All you add is dies and shellholders for the calibers you want to reload !( And powder, primers and bullets of course !)

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
a rockchucker kit is a good start. used presses are a decent thing to look at also- its hard to wear out a good press. dillon, rcbs, redding,lymann, and hornady are all good- i personally dont care for Lee.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I agree with LeftyO on this one...Stay away from LEE stuff if you are planning to do a lot of reloading in the years to come. I know I will get slammed for this but after 30 years of Reloading Thousands of rifle and pistol rounds, and trying Lee stuff, I won't use it ! I use Lyman and RCBS with great success !

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
i went with lee for 2 reasons 1. i didnt know if i liked it. 2 it was about $200 cheaper than the competitors kits.

p.s. i have never seen a used reloading press for sale that didnt cost almost as much as a new one.except for the really expensive ones.there you might get a break because no one can believe that chunk of metal is worth $300!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i dont even know where to begin. yes , if you are skeptical of reloading- go ahead and buy cheap, but dont say i did not warn you. now if anybody wonders how a hunk of metal( a press) can be worth $300 or more, i will guarantee you have never used a high quality press. now anybody thats been on this forum for a while will notice a trend in my posts, i do not care for cheap, or second rate equipment. whether its guns, optics, or reloading equipment - you get what you pay for!

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
ive used rockchuckers and they are real nice i just couldnt afford one .and like i said i was uncertain how much i would like reloading.

p.s. after using the lee kit i did buy a trickler and want a digital thrower/scale but that is all itll take to keep me making good quality ammofor the forseeable future. lefty and moose im not badmouthing youre advice!:09:

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I use a Lee anniversary. Its a great place to start. Gimme a digital powder thrower, and I`m done. I load for .308, .223 ( .5 moa groups there ) and 357 mag.

The only less than perfect thing with a Lee is the powder thrower, but with a trickler, you`re good as gold.

I`m on a budget, and personally, apart from a digital powder thrower, the only thing I`ll buy from now on is dies.

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
I use a Lee anniversary. Its a great place to start. Gimme a digital powder thrower, and I`m done. I load for .308, .223 ( .5 moa groups there ) and 357 mag.

The only less than perfect thing with a Lee is the powder thrower, but with a trickler, you`re good as gold.

I`m on a budget, and personally, apart from a digital powder thrower, the only thing I`ll buy from now on is dies.
YEP!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I will admit, the Anniversary press will break. Mine did, but I`m convinced I did it. It was promptly fixed under warranty. It`s where the handle rod fits into the mechanism. Just don`t really push it over travel, or bang it while lifting weights nearby, or have your kids jackass around with it. Or, basically force it hard like when full length resizing without enough lube. Mine copped all the above except the last scenario.

One day, probably later this year, I`ll add a Challenger or what ever its called press unit. I beleive that I`d personally be better served with 2 ( or even 3 ) single stage presses than a turret.

But, in a nutshell, if you try not to be too ham fisted and or clumsy, and keep the ********* at bay, an Anniversary could be just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
all we use is RCBS cant ask for anything better.. we just got the RCBS charge master 1500 dig powder scale and love it its def worth the money

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I started with the Lee anaav. kit. Later I upgraded to a RCBS press when my uncle got a very large box of reloading stuff for $25. It had dies, the RCBS rockchucker, a couple of MEC shotshell reloaders, a Lee shotshell reloader, and various and sundry other loading stuff.

I also broke my original lee press on an underlubed case. But I have many sets of the Lee dies and no complaints.

Buy the best you can afford without straining your budget. Enjoy your reloading experiance.

Load data con be found on the internet at the websites of the powder manufactures.

Nick

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
{Buy the best you can afford without straining your budget} thats why i said lee . i dont have hundreds of dollars to blow on a hobby. if i ever have the extra cash sure!

·
Registered
117 Posts
at4rxj,

Your are lucky, fortunate etc to have the opportunity to chose from different brands. I only had a choice of LEE. I bought the "C" press. The ram rod binds a bit but a little oil helps. The dies are .357/38Spcl. Once you understand how to adjust them they are good. The autoprimer is a bit fussy if not kept nearly full. The drop chute has to be full or the primers will miss feed. The powder scale leaves a lot to wish for. I spent about 200 U.S. Dollars for all of it. But I enjoy reloading, shooting and trying to understand what it is all about, this ammunation making.

Knowing what I know now and having powder, bullets primers always on a iffy aquire, I'm glad I didnot have better equipment available.

Oz

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used a 3 hole turret press from Lee for three years now. No problems yet. I have loaded for several pistol and rifle calibers. The concept of setting up your turret for one caliber, then quickly changing it out to go to a new caliber on its own turret is a great concept. Also, Lee dies are very good. Just as with any die, remember to once in a while give thema good cleaning. This is the primary cause of most die/press breakage issues. The other is poor lubricating technique of rifle brass preior to loading. I cannot rate the other brands because I have not owned them. I do have two friends who have loaded for over 20 years each and they have equipmnet from all the manufacturers. They are loading on Lee presses these days and like Lee in general. I have called Lee with questions on several occassions and they have helped me out right then and there. Their guarantees are lifetime and they do back it up. Do your research and decide. Over spending does not mean you will always get a superior product. Good Luck.

----------------------------------
Live Free or Die

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
At4xrj
Everyone is telling you equipment equipment equipment.
My $.02
READ READ READ
Read the introductions to reloading. Comprehend what the intructions are saying.
Like: IMR 4350 and 4350 are not the same powders.
How to resize. (lubricating already mentioned)
Case length.
Where eye protection
Bullet seating depth.

Read and understand the insturctions First! OK?

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions

1 - 18 of 18 Posts