Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have the opportunity to do a sell/buy and go from my 7mag 710 to a 270 Weatherby Vanguard synthetic. It's a basic 270, but I'm thinking that it's a better gun.
I'd have to pay about $25. Is it worth doing the swap?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Indeed. I'd go for it if I were you. Weatherby's a great gun. Nothing wrong with a Remmy, just the 710 most definitely isn't their greatest gun. Not very well made.

·
Registered
202 Posts
rem 710 vs we

I got one of those 710 in 30-06, it is very accurate but the action is very rough, I am gonna keep it but you cant go wrong with a weatherby, even one of the cheaper versions.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I'd jump on the Weatherby for the accuracy guarantee alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys, I have the opportunity to do a sell/buy and go from my 7mag 710 to a 270 Weatherby Vanguard synthetic. It's a basic 270, but I'm thinking that it's a better gun.
I'd have to pay about $25. Is it worth doing the swap?
If you haven't swapped yet, pause and have a look at this.
I have a Vanguard fluted stainless synthetic in .308. It is a highly accurate rifle which makes me look good. It does have the following problems, however.
1. The front sling swivel stud pulls out from the plastic if you attempt to tighten a Harris bipod to it.
2. The stainless isn't, it readily rusts in humidity. It also galls and if you need a fast follow up shot the bolt sticks because of that.
3. The bolt stop stud screw tapers to about 1/16th" between the receiver and the screw head. Mine recently broke which left me with a rifle in one hand and the bolt in the other.

Like all things they are built to a price. If you are a range shooter and occasional hunter then they are fine as long as you are prepared to fix the occasional fault. If you are likely to be firing at multiple targets or culling large numbers of animals you may wish that you kept the Remington.

Regards
Snow

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
If you haven't swapped yet, pause and have a look at this.
I have a Vanguard fluted stainless synthetic in .308. It is a highly accurate rifle which makes me look good. It does have the following problems, however.
1. The front sling swivel stud pulls out from the plastic if you attempt to tighten a Harris bipod to it.
2. The stainless isn't, it readily rusts in humidity. It also galls and if you need a fast follow up shot the bolt sticks because of that.
3. The bolt stop stud screw tapers to about 1/16th" between the receiver and the screw head. Mine recently broke which left me with a rifle in one hand and the bolt in the other.

Like all things they are built to a price. If you are a range shooter and occasional hunter then they are fine as long as you are prepared to fix the occasional fault. If you are likely to be firing at multiple targets or culling large numbers of animals you may wish that you kept the Remington.

Regards
Snow
Man sounds like you got a lemon! I have had 2 diffrent bipods on mine and never had a problum with the screw pulling out of the stock. Had mine for 2 years now with no problums. I bought it when I lived in east texas where it does get pretty humid and didnt have much of a rust problum (but then again I also make sure my gun is clean and oiled properly too)at all with it. My biggest complaint is when the bolt is pulled back it feels a little sloppy but its not too bad.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I can't believe some of the responses saying to get the Remington over the Vanguard, there is NO comparison whatsoever between the two, the Weatherby is a much higher quality firearm, and is built much better than the piece of junk 710. Not trying to discredit the other poster's "problems" but I have never once encountered any of the issues mentioned, and I own and sell a lot of the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 rifles.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
you would have to pay me to trade my vangaurd for a rem 710/770.
i mean pay me the cost of a new weatherby.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just made such a trade my self. Had a 710 7mm mag. No problems with it at all and it shot great. Knowing it was not made as well as a 700 I sold it for 300. And bought a brand new Weatherby vanguard 30-06 for 300. Best trade I ever made.

·
Premium Member
25,768 Posts
I have the blue/synthetic Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Winchester. In my opinion I have never owned a better rifle that was not multiple hundreds of dollars more expensive. The Harris bipod has not caused any problems with the sling swivel stud and although it is not one of the Sub Moa rifles offered by Weatherby it will deliver sub-moa accuracy with some loads.

The Vanguards are one of the best values in modern firearms.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Weatherby Vanguard is a great rifle. I bought one a year and half ago in .22-250 Rem. and was impressed with just about everything about it. It's got a 24in. barrel (preferred by myself) a nice trigger and smooth action and was a well spent $412.00. :35:

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
In my opinion the vangaurd is really hard to beat for the money.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
i have shot both the 710 is not a bad gun but the weatherby is twice the gun for about the same price

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I had someone offer me a used Rem 710 in 30-06 for $200 once, I just looked at him and asked if I had made him mad or something. If we were talking about a Rem 700 it might be a differant matter but a 710 vs. a Weatherby model (anything) hands down pay the $25 and get the Weatherby. I think you will be alot happier in the long run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts