Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a U S Remington Model 03-A3, serial number 3798359. It is marked on the top of the receiver just behind the barrel. it also has some stampings on the stock just ahead of the trigger guard and a "P" stamped just behind the trigger guard. I haven't taken the stock off yet to check the side of the barrel for additional markings as all the "Serial number search" sites require. I just sent an e-mail to Remington asking for guidance to locate more information on the rifle. Someone way back before my dad bought it from a guy being laid off in the 60's, cut the front of the stock off in the "sporting" style. I'm not interested in a restoration as much as using it for hunting/range/plinking. while waiting for Remington, I'm going to remove the stock and check for date codes in case it has some. I took the top of the stock off and the machining is evident and not smooth on the barrel.

thanks to all in advance, bill

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Bill, the serial indicates the rifle was built mid 1943. The date on the barrel should be about 4-43 plus or minus 2 months. The 'P' is a firing proof, and the small marks on the underside are just inspector stamps. Most likely any other stamps on the steel will be inspector stamps only. Some rifles were rebuilt by the armorys and may show a mix of parts. You should be able to observe many small 'R's on various parts indicating Remington manufacture.
Remington is not likely to be any help to you. If the metal has not been changed, the rifle would be more valuable in it's original GI stock. That is assuming the original sights are still on the rifle, and it has not been drilled or tapped for mounts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply m14man. i really appriciate the information. i wish the stock hadn't been cut but i'm not a collector, just a shooter and home protector. if i do get lucky and find a whole stock i will get it and have it back the way our soldiers used it.

thanks again, bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M14man, if you had your choice to keep for all around shooting, hunting, etc. would you keep this or a US Model of 1917 Eddystone?? i realize this opinion based but i'm asking anyway.....which do you think would give the longer life and have the best parts replacement??

thank you for your help, bill

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
I prefer the 03A3 over the Enfield. Just personal preference. The Enfield has no windage adjustment. Parts are way easier to find also for the 03A3.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I wouldn't stake my life on the difference between the M1903A3 and the M1917. They are both great, sturdy battle rifles. The advantage of the M1917 is a 6 round magazine verses the M1903A3's 5 round magazine. I prefer the "cock-on-close" feature of the M1917.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
I wouldn't stake my life on the difference between the M1903A3 and the M1917. They are both great, sturdy battle rifles. The advantage of the M1917 is a 6 round magazine verses the M1903A3's 5 round magazine. I prefer the "cock-on-close" feature of the M1917.
Nice rifles. I like mine also.

Reactions: TheJoker

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
03A3's are wonderful rifles! You should make every effort to get it back to original configuration, you'll be glad you did. You may not be a collector now, but you will be! The seed has been planted.

Reactions: TheJoker
1 - 9 of 9 Posts