Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago i inherited an 11-48, i know that this gun is in the 1100 family, but i cant find any parts for this one specifically. Especially aftermarket parts. I would really like to have a black pistol-grip stock and forend. Do the 1100 stocks fit the 11-48? Im a newb to remington shotguns so any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Depending on what gauge it is and the condition it is in...you might be surprised to find out that it is worth something. They're a durn good shotgun. I've been shooting one since the early 50s and it's still going strong. Once killed a deer at a measured 117 yards with a load of 00 buckshot. (Full choke, 30" barrel)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its a 12 gauge, and its in fairly good condition, father in law took it hunting once maybe twice and then it sat in his closet untill bout a year ago. he bought it new!

That sounds Like a good shot, What size deer?

Do you happen to know anything about sn# of these guns?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I know you haven't asked for my advice, and I ain't gonna' give you any...But...If that was my old gun, from my dad, I'd keep it original. You can always go to some show and pick up a cheap, dependable Mossberg or what ever, and hook it up with all the "Tactical" bells and whistles. I just love how everything is "Tactical" now days. I busted a dude up side his head back in
'66 in Fayetteville, NC, at Rick's Lounge, down on "Combat Alley". My weapon of choice that night was an ashtray. Does that qualify it as a "Tactical ashtray"?
Oh, it was a Doe, during Buck season. But times wuz hard and a man had to do what a man had to do. I ain't sure if it was a "good shot" or an accident or dumb luck. It ate just as good as a legal deer, anyway.

Don't know anything about the serial numbers, but I'll look around and see if I can find out anything. If I do, I'll PM you with what info I get. (If any at all)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well in this case, the gun doesnt have any sentimental value, i do have another one from him that does, however this one isnt one. But anyways, anything i do to my guns, i always keep the original parts for "originality sake". I just Happen to like the look of the tactical style, Not that i plan to use it for that Purpose, I just have way to many shotguns, And i want to put a custom stock on this one If possible. However i do appreciate your opinion , and thanks for maybe tryin to get some info for me!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Other than a general apperance similarity the 11-48 has none of the parts from a 1100, or vise-versa. The 11-48 is recoil operated with a recoiling barrel. The 1100 is gas operated. I'd be suprised if you could find a PG stock for it unless you make it yourself, or have one custom made somewhere. Gun Parts may have some parts for them but they would be factory replacements not custom stuff.

The 11-48's were very good guns and popular for skeet and hunting. At the time they were around new, owners didn't customize their guns like we can today. So few if any aftermarket parts are availible now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you dave for your response, thats what i needed to know. As long as i can get some factory parts for repairs as needed i guess thats all i really need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an old 11-48 that my dad bought years ago used. I had a dumb question, it is a 16 gauge, but can you change the barrel to make it a 12?

The other thing is, what is the best place to find a new butt stock for it? Mine just split while shooting clay 3 days ago.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The 11-48 is a great gun. They don't fetch a really high price as there are allot of them in circulation. As far as a pistol grip I am affraid you won't find any aftermarket ones for it as you won't find any aftermarket parts for it. I guess as someone else suggested you could have one made. As far as finding a stock just search Remington 11-48 parts and a couple of sights will show up that will have them. Bad news there as the stocks are up there. It seems that though there allot of 11-48's out there there aren't many parts for them so they come at a premium but they can be had.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As far as a pistol grip I am affraid you won't find any aftermarket ones for it as you won't find any aftermarket parts for it. I guess as someone else suggested you could have one made.
It would have to be a really odd looking one since the action spring tube runs roughly 8 3/4" back into the butt stock.

There are recoiling two spring systems in the 11-48. One is for the barrel, the other is for the bolt.
The biggest diference between the 11-48 and the Browning A5/Remongton 11 recoil systems is that the 11-48 is self adjusting. It will function with almost any load without having to move a friction ring.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should have looked at the dates first. Doh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
11-48 buttstock

a friend of mine was taking the recoil pad off of his model 48 and found a handful of lead pellets in the buttstock. does anyone have an idea what purpose these pellets serve?

·
Registered
154 Posts

TTOCS84,

I just bought a 1148 12 guage this weekend, the more I learn about it the more I love it. On the left side of the barrel there are three letters. I f you go to this site ( Remington Manufacture dates ) and enter the three letters it will tell you when it was made. Mine was made in Jan. 1950. If I were you I would tear it down and give it a good cleanning. Take the barrel, forearm off then push the two pins out, on the side right above the trigger. this will remove the trigger assembly. Mine was so gummed up that I ran everything through my parts washer, then blew all dry with air gun. Re-oiled lightly and reasembled. I was advised by an 80 year old man who has owned a few of the 1148's to use 30 Wt. motor oil on the spring under the forearm. Sounds strange but he swears by it. My advive, KEEP IT ORIGINAL.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have an 11-48 that i got from my dad, its all original, and i still use it alot for a deer gun. I have never heard of the 30 weight on the spring, but i do keep it lubed up nicely so that it slides smooth. It is a great reliable gun, enjoy

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know you haven't asked for my advice, and I ain't gonna' give you any...But...If that was my old gun, from my dad, I'd keep it original. You can always go to some show and pick up a cheap, dependable Mossberg or what ever, and hook it up with all the "Tactical" bells and whistles. I just love how everything is "Tactical" now days. I busted a dude up side his head back in
'66 in Fayetteville, NC, at Rick's Lounge, down on "Combat Alley". My weapon of choice that night was an ashtray. Does that qualify it as a "Tactical ashtray"?
Oh, it was a Doe, during Buck season. But times wuz hard and a man had to do what a man had to do. I ain't sure if it was a "good shot" or an accident or dumb luck. It ate just as good as a legal deer, anyway.

Don't know anything about the serial numbers, but I'll look around and see if I can find out anything. If I do, I'll PM you with what info I get. (If any at all)
Tactical ashtray ROFL I to hate tactical or as some call craptical

·
Registered
582 Posts
About the "shot in the butt", c'mon I just had to. My money is on that "bubba" was trying to make his own recoil absorber. There use to be a company that made stock inserts for that purpose and I've heard of people "sticking all kinds of stuff in their butts" to copy the effect.(alright I took a liberty with that one but C'MON!!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as the shot in the butt stock, many clays shooters add and remove weight to help balance and recoil absorbtion. It is suprising just how much difference an ounce or two can really alter the balance and feel of a shotgun. As far as I know, the 30 weight oil is a Remington recomendation. For the utmost in reliability, strip the firearm to the reciever, including the buttstock. A hint, clamp the reciever in a vice and find a very large screwdriver, or second best the hubcap end of an old lug wrench to remove the butt stock nut. Once dissassembled, including the rear recoil spring, clean thoroughly with HOT water and purple degreaser from the auto parts house. A .45 pistol brush works well to scrub out the recoil spring tube. Then while still warm apply light machine oil to all surfaces and reassemble. In my experience, most malfunctions in recoil operated firearms comes from lack of cleaning. When things slow down, the first thing people do is spray some lube in there, shoot a box or two and put the gun away. The lube that was sprayed into the gun then runs to the back and into the recoil tube and solidifies into a gummy mess after 6 months in the gun safe. So keep it clean and lightly oiled and function will follow.

Watch your top knot!
Rick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts