Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to do pretty well with my 1100 trap version.
Mine is a 30 inch full choke ventilated rib.
How about you? Do you prefer another shotgun for trap?
I believe its mostly the ability of the shooter anyway.
What do you think?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm not sure yet how much is the ability of the shooter and how much is the setup of the gun. Trap guns can be as long as 34" and that has to make some difference in keeping the pattern tight. Especially if you are shooting handicap( or 25 yards) instead of 16 yards. Also with doubles you have to reach out with that second shot. Most of the guys I shoot ATA with have long barrel trap guns and do really well. I do fairly well with my old 11-48 but nothing like they do. However , having said that , I don't practice and shoot as much as they do. I would like to have a trap combo but because I stay so busy working I can't shoot enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After 15 years of not firing a shell thru his Remington 1100 field grade shotgun my brother decided to go trap shooting with me. Now I remember hunting with him when I was younger and for as long as I can remember .....if he brought the shotgun up the bird was dead. Plain and simple.
He brole 23 out of 25. First 25 shells in 15 years. A field grade modified shotgun.
First and foremost the shooters ability......
I can see the equipment making a difference if the ability is there. But no more than a 5-10% difference.
If you are good enough to compete before spending the money on the fancy stuff OK.
The fancy equipment will not in itself make you good enough to shoot in competition.
But Hey...its just my opinion.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the gun really doesnt make too much of a difference. the longer barrel does help the follow through a little , but the pattern is all in the choke. if a person can shoot they will do well with just about any gun that fits them. i do pretty well shooting my browning BT-99 with 32" barrel and a briley full choke. if i can keep my mind on the game i consistently break 23-25 birds. i shot a round of doubles a few weeks ago and that was fun, so next year i intend to get a browning citori XT.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,374 Posts
Iv'e always used the gun Iv'e hunted with. Mostly a 870 Wingmaster. I have good days and bad days, and going half mad days with trap.

Iv'e been enjoying using my new Sx2 clay busting lately. Just warming up for ducks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I first posted this many months ago.

I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum Womans/Youth 20 gauge I have been trap shooting with and averaging 22-23 out of 25. I have been using the modified choke in this short shotgun. This little shotgun makes for a great home defense gun. Trap shooting gives me a way to practise with it.
The guys laughed when they first saw it. Not now. A few of them will not even shoot with me anymore. Can't stand the idea of being beaten by a kids shotgun....lol
I admit....I did it on purpose.......................hehe
Shooter not the shotgun gets it done.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i forgot all about this thread. ive gotten my citori XT, smoked 50 straight with it a few weeks ago, ive become the #2 shooter in my class for leagues, and am still slowly improving. i still think the shooter is 90% of the game, with weather being 5% and the gun about 5%. maybe in another year or two i'll be able to afford a krieghoff k-80 combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been shooting an 1100 Left Hand trap gun with 30" full choke since 1986 and would not trade that gun for anything. I was consistently breaking 97% at 16 yards and 94% at 22 yards. I quit shooting trap from 1990 through March of this year, but when I started back it only took me 100 targets and I was back to shooting 98%.
It's all about finding a gun that fits you and learning to shoot it.
I regularly shoot with guys who have paid mega bucks for their unsingle guns with 34" barrels, and smoke them on a regular basis.
I recently was given my father's old 870 TB trap (approx 45 yrs old) and it fits me like my 1100LH. I can smoke 25's with it too, the only complaint I have is the recoil. It kicks like a mule even with light target loads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts