Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 1917 rem by a friend. He asked me to find out what it is worth. It has a rem. reciever and rem. barrel marked 6 - 18, and a eddystone bolt. Alot of the small parts are eddystone with a few exceptions (front sight magazine floor plate). The barrel and reciever are blued but there are some parkerized parts on it. I would put the overall condition of the rifle at 60-65%. The barrel is very good condition with no pitting whatsoever. The only problem with the gun is that someone cut off the rabbit ear sight guards long ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info moose, would it be worth looking for a replacement front sight. i have come across them on several gun parts web listings

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
You might be able to improve the value

Seek replacement sight guards and a proper bolt in this forum or perhaps Shotgun News or similar publication.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
NO..Don't change the bolt...They were made by Remington at the Eddystone Plant in Eddystone ,Pa...So Eddystone marked is OK !!
It is probably CORRECT for that Rifle and headspaced as such...A Qualified Gunsmth with a set of 06 gauges can tell in a minute !!!
Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts