Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall the 597 is not a bad little rifle. I've got the laminate stock with fat barrel model and it's pretty OK. BUT, as many of you may have found out, the magazines are basically CRAP - which is where the misfeed problems come from. the rifle came with a plastic mag and I bought 2 extra metal mags. It seems the metal mags get a rough corrosion on them after a while which causes some of the problem with the follower jamming.
WELL, after some .22 range time for the kids this weekend I decided (after playing "pit crew" for my Daughter while she shot the 597 all afternoon) that this should be fixable. The plastic base will snap off of the metal mag body pretty easy. I disassembled the 2 metal mags and lightly filed the inside where the follower contacts. I also slightly stretched the mag spring for a bit more tension.
The 597 now works perfectly!
SO, if you have experianced the same headache, try cleaning up and tuning the mags a bit, seems to have solved my problem!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Yep, I have done this on several magazines from different guns. A lot of people don't realize the magazine is the heart of a semi-auto gun!
Cleaning and dry-lubing the inside of the mag box really helps. Polishing the followers is often a good thing too. Made a couple quirky 15-round Mossberg .22 rifle mags work near 100%! Wish I could find a couple more of them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hmmm - I've had a 597 for several years. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I run 1500+ rounds through it. This is the first I've heard about magazine problems. Mine functions just fine. Never felt the need to replace the plastic magazine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with miss feeding. Yall help a guy out and post pictures on how to do this. I have no idea what yall mean.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Seems like I hear about these guns having lots of problems, on different sites.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
The problem was the 2nd generation clips. I had one.. I sent it, and the replacement clip that I bought (I tried) back to Remington and they sent me 3rd generation clips back, no charge and the problem was solved!!

The 3rd generation clips have stronger spring in them. The base of the clip is thicker (which is how you tell them apart), and they'll cover it under warranty. (as long as you tell them the gun's less than 2 years old).

Once the clip issues's solved, they're a fantastic .22!!!:headbang:

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't have any problem with mine....keep in mind you must use a new model magazine...it has a 10 with a circle around it on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok duck shoot heres what you do get your clip turn it on its side and place a screw driver flat head where the metal meets the plastic botton and get it in one of the spaces. then wiggle it around to get it in there then lightly pry at it then it will pop off take the spring and soke it in some hoppies same with all the other parts after all the gunk has been wiped off take some "Dry" lube ask for it at a gun store and put some on the conntact points than you can sretch the sping if need be. to do that just pull on the spring at each side. than put it back together i would put on pics but i dont no how

1 - 8 of 8 Posts