Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts about this rifle?
I have heard mixed reviews and opinions on it.
But I have been tracking one now for almost 6 months and the price has now went down to $100. I believe it to be an awesome deal.
Do any of you guys have a 597? How do you like it?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so.
I know that it has some problems with the Mag, but other than that I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I saw that they still have it today.
I shoulld just get it. But some "other oblegations" are refraining me...

L

·
0 Posts
give them some "earnest" money..if you pass it up make sure you don't regret it

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had a Remington 597 for a couple of years now, and I'm pretty happy with it. Someone mentioned a problem with the mags, and that's true - the plastic mags were a bit of a pain. Fortunately you can now get metal mags. That's about the only difficulty I have had. So significant feed issues, its accurate, and the synthetic stock is functional.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I've been considering on and off, maybe some day, like if I need more than one 22 semi in a household.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if it is still there by thursday I will. I just can't stand to see a good deal just pass me buy. I will kick myself later for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Logansdad said:
Welcome CV32..post often :right:
Thanks. Nice to feel welcome. :)

Btw, I meant to say "no significant feed issues" (other than with the plastic mags), not "so significant feed issues". My bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you haven't already wasted your money on the Remington 597, DON'T! I just bought one about a month ago and I've been taking it out rabbit hunting about 5 times. From the day I took it out of the box, the metal magazines jammed. They're getting worse too! I've tried everything I can think of to keep them from jamming and it's not the ammo I'm using. I've compressed the spring, as you would when you load it with bullets and when I release it, sometimes it pops back up and other times it sticks down. I've emailed Remington about this problem but have heard nothing back from them yet. It's extremely frustrating to be shooting at a running rabbit only to have your gun dry-fire because the next round didn't chamber! If it weren't for the magazine problems, the gun would probably be pretty nice. It's VERY accurate. That's about the only good thing I can say for it though! I wish I'd bought the 10/22 like I originally planned. Just my two cents worth!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the headsup billscout. Like I said I have heard mixed reviews and opinions on them. My brother has 2 10/22s. I really like them, but honestly I can out shoot them with my $100 Savage. Now before I start a war, please know that I am not trashing 10/22s. When built up, they are the most accurate 22 I know of. I am going to purchase one and built it one day-it's definately on my project list. But scence I saw this 597 for such a good price I though I would pick it up.
O and welcome to the forum man.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington 597

I have had a 597 for about a year.
First, the good: It's amazingly accurate, especially considering the trigger.
It has never jammed or failed to load.
Now, the bad: The trigger is about 8 pounds. I finally contacted Remington and they said it should be about 4 pounds. They are sending me a pre-paid shipping label so I can return the gun to them for repairs.
Also, the magazine is sometimes a pain to load, but it has never jammed.

Thats all.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome DDG.
Wow-I thought this thread expired. Well to catch you up to speed, I couldn't come up with the cash fast enough and it slipped through my fingers. I kick myself in the butt constantly for it too. Still keeping my eye out though for another....

·
Registered
77 Posts
This may be news to some of you. Remington has improved the metal magazine. Probably a heavier spring. The bottom of the magazine is thicker (the black plastic part). I bought one and shot several hundred rounds of different ammo. Not one jammed! I went back and bought another. I now love the gun! I just wish Remington had addressed the problem early on. I'm afraid they lost a bunch of buyers for an otherwise awesome gun.
~Bruce

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
If only folks like Butler Creek would make hi-caps for it...

I've understood its advantage to be out of the box accuracy at better prices than Ruger target model 10-22s.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts