Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would you recommend this gun? Or the 30-06? This to be my first centerfire rifle, I'm looking for something reliable and accurate for long distance mule deer, whitetail, elk, etc. Which caliber would you prefer for this type of hunting? Thanks to all who respond.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I use a Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 for white tail deer hunting. It's relatively lightweight, and works great with my Leupold 3x9x40 scope on top.

I should also say that I alternate the Rem 700 with my Model '94 30-30 lever action rifle with iron sights.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What kind of Magnum? Weatherby Magnum, or Winchester? I don't think Remington makes a .300 Weatherby Magnum, but get it rechambered, it's well worth it. My dad uses one and it has never failed, even at 600 yards. Yes he has killed mulies that far. I guarntee that a .30-06 can't do that. Plus, break out of the norm, and get something besides a .30-06. .30-06's are like !!!!!!!s, every1 has one.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I`d say a person`s first centrefire will get fired quite a bit, as he or she aquaints themsleves with it. This isnt really indicative that a 300 mag ( win or other ) is the correct rifle. If the choice for a first centrefire is to be made between a 300 mag and an `06 the latter is the best choice. It really depends on your experience, if you hand load etc.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,575 Posts
I guess a few questions come to mind.
Is it possible to get closer to these critters? What do you consider long distance?
How do you handle the recoil of a magnum? Can you shoot it accurately? I do not do well with my friends 7mm Mag.
How much dod you wan to pay for ammo, factory or reloaded?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Just while we're on the subject, Remington did chamber the 700 in 300 Wby Magnum. It's not made anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts