remington 700 bolt dissasembly

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by romex21, Jan 4, 2008.

1. romex21

romex21 G&G Newbie

can anybody tell me how to dissasemble the bolt for cleaning??
    ( remington model 700 BDL 30/06)
    iv"e had this rifle for about six years and have never cleaned the internals of the bolt.
    the rifle shoots fine with great groups
    but im sure it needs some cleaning in there. thanks

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

The simplest way I can tell you is to remove the bolt from the rifle.2.You must retract the firing pin as you Unscrew the rear section of the bolt...
    It is under Hella spring pressure...
    rich

3. Elarski

Elarski G&G Newbie

Here ya go...
    Order one of these, they're worth the money. There are other ways to disassemble, but this is easier.
    Brownells No. 488-001-000
    [​IMG]

Good luck.

4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Rich, how often should we be cleaning the bolts on my remingtons?

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Once a year...If you fire more than a box of shells...Or the gun gets wet and /or muddy...
    Rich

6. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i have been useing this stuff called "powder blast" i get it at walmart it desolves with no residue and cleans all the oil grease and gunk out of any thing on the gun. i use about 2 cans for my guns and i have about 9 just sray them down you don't really have to take them down majorly anymore . i just sray them until the styf runs out clear then i set it down after a few minutes it's clean and dry. now it does take all the grease and oil off to so you have to so you have to give your parts a little sray of grease or oil what ever you use. i use the remington gun oil in the spray can with teflon in it . but as for getting back to the bolt i would get some of this stuff and sray it in the oil hole or fireing pin until it runs c out clear then let it dry and lube it up instaed of takin the bolt down .

7. romex21

romex21 G&G Newbie

I think i'll try this today, how much oil do you put in there ?? is there any chance of over oiling?? guys thanks so much for the info, im glad theres places like this forum to get the info we need,, keep up the good work....

8. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

i don't think you can ever over oil a gun. now you can over grease it but you can never over oil it. the way i do it is i sray all the parts down sith the reminton oil after i clean them and then i set them on a towel . next i give them a few minutes to drip out any exsses oil and then i wipe them down with a oily rag infact i use the same rag over and over i never wash it so it has a good amount of oil in it to.after that i reasemble the parts and walla . oh i forgot alot might not do it but i then take the same oily rag and i wipe the entire outside of the gun down with it stock an all it gives it a semi dull glow plus leaves a film on the outer parts and wood .i live in south louisiana oil is my friend rust is a problem down here but i have to say i have no rust on any of my guns .

9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Actually, you want a thin coating of oil on the pin and spring...Clean and oil the pin and spring,and the raceway, and wipe it off with a clean paper towel and reassemble...too much oil is not a good thing on a firing pin, especially if you hunt in cold climate, as it can cause misfires if the oil congeals...
    Rich

10. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

thats why i switched to that remington oil it's very thin and watery like i don't think it would congeal it's not like regular oil. i'm gonna try a freezer test today to see what it would do in below freezing temps . i know when i used rebular gun oil it was like regular oil and would stick to stuff and atrack dust and like you said when it was cold it would get thick but this stuff is like water and has teflon in it it's really slippery.almost like water.

11. JSnover

JSnover G&G Newbie

I've had my M700 bolt apart a couple of times and it's not bad if you have the right tool. I'd rather just give the bolt assembly a good soak, blast it clean with carb cleaner or compressed air and oil it lightly. I did this for about five years and took it apart last winter to see what was happening inside: Nothing. Nice and clean with no rust. I'm not saying you should never strip the bolt, just that it doesn't really need to be done frequently, unless you're in a humid or dusty place.

12. romex21

romex21 G&G Newbie

well today i went ahead and sprayed the bolt, in and outside, as Tommy had suggested, had some gunk come out but not to bad, let it set for a little while and then got the air compressor after it to blow any remaing cleaner out.
    i then used rem-oil in and outside of the bolt
    iv'e never used the rem-oil before but i think i like it:)

13. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

you got the remington oil that is in the aerosol can and has teflon in it? that stuff is nice slick as owlcrap thats why i say let it drip out for a while after you spay them it runs out like water but it gets into every crack .

14. WallyfmOZ

WallyfmOZ G&G Newbie

Humid and or dusty, now that sounds like Australia, dry dusty, humid wet muddy, you name it. Over here, clean it lots, oil it little. Dust and moisture will ruin your whole day. if you in hot dusty areas, take a shaving brush and give it a good brushing. if your in a tropical place, like Northern Oz, brush it, oil it and keep oiling it. Rust is worse than not being close to a pub.

15. WallyfmOZ

WallyfmOZ G&G Newbie

Have a look, if it's clean, don't mess with it. The worst thing is not knowing. if you know and do nothing then its your fault. if you don't know cause you never looked your being lazy and stupid.:smokin:

16. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I'm not going to tell you I clamp vice grips on the sear/fireing pin,hold it back and turn it out.And Tommy,when the oil runs off my elbows,I consider that over oiled! sam.

17. EviL

EviL G&G Addict

guess thats why the Model 70 bolt i sent ya wasnt working properly. that thing had never been taken apart and cleaned EVER, lol. and BTW, i finally got a scope put back on that 30-06 so i took it out for the first time on Friday and showed that paper who was BOSS! haha. safety works perfectly now. THANKS AGAIN MOSSE ! :notworthy:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted