Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums here and was hoping for some information. I just bought this gun (Remmy 700 MTN SS) from gander mountain for $550-. When I first saw it there I came home to do my research (before I bought it) on this thing and couldn't find out much or anything about it. I thought it was taged wrong or somthing because I couldnt find it let alone somthing similar in .308 on the remington page. I decided to go back and buy it the next day (had them hold it) because I was looking at the SPS for the same price... I think I got a lot more gun, but this is the only thing I have found:

Remington Model 700™ Mtn SS Guide Special Run

I was just curious if any one new any more or... anything. I assume that the twist is the same as the other 22" .308 but it doesnt say for sure. Im getting the barrel cut down and will have it back in about 2 weeks to scope it up and take it out.

Bottom line (i guess) its still a 700.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The only 700 mountain rifle I have found is the KS and the MSRP on this is $1500.00. Like you said,it is a700 therefor,it is a good rifle and it is a stainless/synthetic.

Why are you having the barrel cut down?
It seems to me that you will lose some accuracy.
It only has 22" of barrel anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More for personal function than anything... its not going to be an real long range gun. 20" will be sufficient for what I'm using it for (long hikes through the woods, mostly for predators), plus there was a small nick on the end of the barrel (didnt hurt the crown, more cosmetic). It WAS $200 cheaper than the only other one Ive seen, and for $50 I'll have the shop take care of it for me. It is also my understanding that you actually gain accuracy with a shorter barrel, however loose FPS and effective range. Either way the differences wont be enough for me to notice, so weight savings as well as movement will be the biggest advantage.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you hand load you can use faster powders and pretty well keep up on fps with shorter barrels with lower capacity casings.It is usually a tradeoff with shorter barrels as the muzzle flip is worse but long barrels have longer to be affected by vibration. sam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, much better wording. That is what I was basing my thought on; the vibration can throw the round off center a bit more because the barrel flexes when the gun is fired. I think Ill notice the kick more than the accuracy as, at this point, I'm sure it will be out shoot me (for a while). :biggthumpup: good call on the hand loading.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think all Remington 700's in .308 are 1:10 twist. I have a 700 Mt. rifle in 30-06 and it is a 1:10. Also owned a 700 (1970 vintage) in .308 that was a 1:10 twist. The mountain rifle barrel is so thin, you would lose 1oz. of weight at the most and get a lot more muzzle jump and blast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts