Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the 700 and the 770 they have both in stock and in all the calibers i would like . i want a 308 whats a good price and what models is the best . and what calibers are the best. is a 308 the best for long range knock down or will a 243 do just as fine? they were all in a black synthetic stock witch i liked the only thing was to deside on a caliber. i will never shoot the gun so it really won't matter much but i really want one .

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
man i cant wait to show yall the remington 700 , in 308 its all sniper out oh man i know this is worthless without pics but soon i will post a thread on this gun!

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you are never going to shoot a gun,get both of them.If you want long range flat trajectory and 300yd max on deer size game and longer(500yd ?) range on varmints-targets,go .243.If you want acceptable ballistics and 400yd range on deer size game,500yd+ on varmints and 1000yd capabilities on targets,go .308. sam.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May I ask, Why do you want a gun if your never gonna shoot it?
i have had two nech surgeries one fusion at c6/7 and a crevical cage put in at c3/4 not to mention in between them two disc i have c4/5 that has started to go out and c5/6 too. so i really don't shoot any rifles. i have a ar15 and a few ak47's and a amd65 that i rarely shoot if never.i shoot my pistols when i can but rifles with recoil are out of the question .but i still would like to have it"it's free" so why not get one i have been wanting a really nice decked out sniper rifle. i'm an exellent shot with a rifle but i don't wanna pop nuthin out if i don't have too.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was lookin at a sweat little 700 with a scope it had the heavy barrel but it was in the .223 caliber i would want it in atleast .243 or .308 . i noticed the prices were about 545.00 with the scope i think that was the top price the others was cheaper because they didn't have scopes. now the 770 models pretty buch all had scopes but the barrels looked really skinny. them 700's with them big bull barrels really stood out the .223 was a junior model. so what would be the maximum dropping or killing range of a .308 ?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I think the .308 can kill a man at 1000 yards (~half a mile)...at least I think that's what a Marine Sniper can do.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm puzzled as to why you'd want a gun you won't shoot, unless you're buying it for someone else to shoot.

For those not familiar, Tommy has a disability related to an injury that keeps medium to high recoil guns off limits (If I recall correctly.) I'm guessing that's part of the reason not to shoot it.

As far as 700 vs 770, the 770 is a revised version of the 710, but all the basic features and drawbacks are the same. My opinion is that the 770/710 is good if your priorities are a 60 degree bolt throw, weather resistance, and a detachable magazine. If top loading, a smooth bolt, and accessories are important to you, the 700 is a better choice hands down.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The Remington 700 in .308 has been in use by police, military, FBI, and every law enforcement agency since it was made. That is a testament to the quality of that rifle. I my personal opinion, which doesn't mean squat, it the best bolt action rifle ever made. Sure there are higher priced rifles and fancier ones, but fundamentals are what win the ball game.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm buying up all the guns i like and want so that one day i can pass them down to my kids .yes B.G is right about the recoil thing a gun recoil on my shoulder would do me in for good but i still like guns and i like to be next to them when they go off.lol. i pretty much pay for ammo for my kids and neighbors to shoot up cause i really can't and don't shoot the rifles but i do collect them. i was just looking at the website and was checking out the little tactical version . i wonder what the price would be on a .308 on that one? i'm just thinkin of ot my last gun i bought was an ak47 and i ain't went test fire it yet thats been over two months ago. so it looks like a .308 would be the best way to go . i might even try to pickup my brothers 30/06 he was trying to sell a while back for 150.00 it was a remington with the scope too .well we will see in a few days whats up then.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I can't help ya on this one. I haven't liked Remingtons since the 700 I was hunting with many years ago, broke the solder joint on the bolt handle with a live round in the chamber, and I was unable to hunt for the remainder of the trip.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
no comparison, get the 700. get a heavy barreled 700, put a brake on it, and add some weight to it. you'll be able to shoot it without any agravation to your injuries.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do they sell clamp on brakes?? if not how do they fasten? it sure would be nice to shoot the rifles again. i know the ak47 has the allen wrench type adaptor for the muzzle brakes is this the same ?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Brakes are either drilled or the barrel is threaded and the brake is screwed on.I believe I saw on here where someone tried one of those setscrew deals and shot it off in the first firing.If recoil bothers get a caldwell ledsled.The lower priced one I believe is about $100 and the more expensive like I have for big boomers is under $200..Then you need lead shot.Dont use over 50lbs as you can cause stock damage.With a .30-06 40lbs of shot covers about 90% of the recoil. sam.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
this 700 i just got kicks little to none i cant wait to post you guys pics and specs!!!!

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
tommy I just had an idea you CAN shoot these guns if you'll buy one of (CRAP i can't think of what there called )
But I'll try to describe...You put your rifle in them when you sight in or target shoot.
You set them up on a table for bench rest shooting.
Or you can build you a fixture to cradle your rifles that get the recoil and you don't.
Think About it...A.H

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I have heard that the 700 is better. The 700 has been around alot longer too. Whichever one you like the best is the one you should get....but the 700 is probably better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts