close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington 700 Owners!

Discussion in 'Remington' started by Zachhandersen, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Zachhandersen

Zachhandersen G&G Newbie

Hey guys, thinking about a Remington 700 as my next hunting rifle, more than likely a .30-06. I love the look and feel of the rifle, but my question to you guys is, what have you done to your rifle that has made it more accurate? Trigger Install? Action Tuning? Thanks for the help.

2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I kept my Remington 700 SPS in 30-06 (made 2005) completely stock. It is my "hunting rifle" so I did not modify it. It shoots 1.7" group of 3 shots at 200 yards, with my hand loads. That will get the job done.

My other Remington 700 rifles, in .308, shot sub-MOA 5 shot groups, right out of the box (cleaned first, of course) with my hand loads, so I did not modify them either. They were made back in 1999, 2001, and 2002.

Zachhandersen and ACfixer like this.

3. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I bought a Bergara and skipped right to the small groups.

Zachhandersen and ACfixer like this.
  4. ACfixer

ACfixer Global Warming Enthusiast Forum Contributor

L35-KAPV
    I have a CDL in .30-06 and a VTR in .308, both bone stock, and if you can't hit a deer at 200 yards with either one you need to be spending time at the range, not the gunsmith.

Zachhandersen likes this.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just an FYI post: The Weatherby Vanguard is a submoa gun out of the box with the right ammo. Even my 1st generation Vanguard in 270 Winchester would shoot submoa with certain loads and the 2nd generation has an improved trigger, upgraded stock, etc. They are not as cheap as some bolt rifles but they are very competitively priced. (they are based on the Howa 1500 barreled actions)

Zachhandersen likes this.
  6. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

Yakima
    I've had a 700-BDL 30-06 for 35+ years. it has taken dozens of elk, caribou and a couple of moose. It rode around in my Cessna 180 for years in Alaska. They are tough, reliable and accurate.

For most of it's life it had a Leupold 4x scope on it, a few years ago it got a new Leupold 3x9. The old scope was gifted to a fellow G&Ger.

The only modification from stock is a recoil pad.

The only thing a 700 really needs is quality optics and ammunition.

Ten Man, Zachhandersen and ACfixer like this.
  7. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

I had a Rem 700 ADL 30-06 for 40 years. I free floated the barrel and added a recoil pad and it shot about 1.5" at 100 yds. with handloads , a benchrest and patient shooting. I just used a Redfield 4x scope. Aesthetically I stripped the finish and gave it Danish oil finish. Any missed shots in the field were due to a poor trigger nut and not the gun.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    ACfixer likes this.