Remington 700 SPS Feedback

Discussion in 'Remington' started by FloridaBoy, Aug 21, 2010.

1. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy G&G Newbie

I just picked up a Rem 700 sps and i was wanting to get some feedback on what you guys think about it?

2. rob g

rob g G&G Regular

Kansas
    I have one in .308 and I love it. I have started shooting longer ranges (longer for me that is) and it shoots really nice. I have replaced the factory stock with a laminated thumbhole stock
    rob

3. my first high powered rifle was a SPS detachable mag in .270 Win. I've taken 3 deer with it and shoot it out to 400 yards. When I'm on and using high quality factory or 130 gr Cor-Lokts ammo it will hold .75 in at 100 yards and about an 1.5 in at 200 yards

4. I've got in in .223. It is the single most accurate gun I have. It is HEAVY and I've used it only as a bench gun so far, but plan to take it out west someday and pop some P-dogs.

Edit: I did replace the trigger with a Timney. It's set at 2 lbs now. I hated the factory trigger.

5. Cmeplay13

Cmeplay13 G&G Newbie

I had one in 308 and it shot one hole groups with Remington 150's at 100

6. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I have 2 one in 30-06 and the other in .223 and have no plans to get rid of either any time soon. :)

7. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy G&G Newbie

yea..thats what i got was the .308..ive shot it once and i love it so far

8. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy G&G Newbie

thats the ammo ive used with it so far too..some people say that the remington rifle ammo isnt worth a crap but ive had no problems with it

9. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy G&G Newbie

my grandfather bought a 30-06 at a gun show and i fell in love with but he wouldnt let me have it so i had to go out and buy my own but decided to go with the .308 since its a little flatter shooting and i didnt really need the 06 for FL and GA deer

10. minkowski1552

minkowski1552 G&G Evangelist

I love my SPS in 308. Shoots real well out of the box with a Bushnell Elite scope.

11. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

That was the first modern deer rifle that i ever bough. I still shoot it, found out real quick it loves Rem PSP 180gr yellow and green box which at the time I could get for like $16 a box. I'm going to start reloading for it when i get back state side.

12. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

The SPS is a solid, no frills hunting rifle, no glossy blued finish to worry about marring, or pretty wood stock to worry about scratching, a gun meant for putting meat in the freezer.

13. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223

I absolutely love my SPS Varmint. I reload using Hornady 50gr V-Max and do 1/4" groups all day. Accuracy goes out the window when a light bullet has to fly through rain drops. I sure wish Remington added the 300 WSM to their Varmint line-up. I emailed them and asked but they said NOPE, unless they start getting a lot of interest in a heavy barrel version.

My kids bought me a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WSM standard 24" sporter barrel with synthetic stock for Christmas 2009 and I absolutely fell in love with the cartridge, the way it shoots, the sound, and the rifle. I liked it well enough to buy another one in .223 for hunting varmints.

I have no doubt the regular Remington SPS line-up will be a rock solid performer and they even have it in WSM calibers. As for me, I will hold off until they carry a heavy barrel version - I don't plan on waiting forever though, because Savage carries a 300 WSM heavy barrel in fluted Stainless and Christmas 2010 is not too far off.

14. BigElkCanoe

BigElkCanoe G&G Addict Forum Contributor

I think you ought to git rid of it,,,,,,,,, wha'du want fer it? [​IMG]

15. DKA1

DKA1 G&G Newbie

Have an SPS in 22 250, 25 06, 7MM 08 and love them all. Also have some Weatherby Vanguard, but SPS is favorite.

16. FloridaBoy

FloridaBoy G&G Newbie

sorry but its not for sale..its my first gun purchase by myself and i plan on keeping it for quite awhile..haha

17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I have one in .30-06, and I LOVE it. I want to get one in .308, as well, just because I like it so much.

I use my .30-06 SPS for all my big game hunting, except bear. For bears, I use my marlin 45-70.