Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Without owning one yet, I think it's a good improvement over the old ADL series. For once Remington made a base model the right way.

I have an SPS Varmint in 308 on layaway. Will eventually tell how it does.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
while i dont own one, ive set a few up for others. not bad rifles for the money. remington cheapened up the trigger box, but the adjustments are the same as always. ive only seen one problem so far. one had the front action screw that was slightly too long, and bound up the bolt. a few minutes with a file took care of the problem. we'll chalk that one up to a minor quality control problem. thankfully they have done away with that stupid J lock!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'd think that if Remington is willing to slap the 700 model on a rifle, that it has to be pretty good.

I'm going to probably be getting a .308 Varmint in a year or two...BRG3, let me know how yours performs as soon as you get it and use it :D

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've had my 700 SPS stainless in 30-06 for about two years now and am in no way dissatisfied. I've got to say, out of my humble collection of firearms she's my favorite. Matched with a 3-9x Simmons scope and a bipod, has made the most accurate rifle I've ever fired. I can't think of a problem that I've ever had with the rifle. It's light, has a nice recoil pad and I love the stainless finish it never seems to scratch. Also the 700 has really deep crowning in the muzzle, cutting down on the ringing ears factor when I take it hunting.
Sorry if I sound obsessive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
700 sps varmint

My gun dealer and I have been looking for the SPS Varmint in .308 and we cant find them anywhere.I have looked on Gunsamerica, Gunbroker etc , one site said .308 had been discontinuedds others just say "out of stock" anyone else have this problem? I got several .308s mainly AR types. if I cant find one I may settle for a Savage 12 FV or 12 FVS, I want the bull barrel. I guess my next projlect after that will be A Ruger #1 in a medium caliber. I am thru with the shoulder busters, and then a Weatherby .257 Mag.:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Without owning one yet, I think it's a good improvement over the old ADL series. For once Remington made a base model the right way.

I have an SPS Varmint in 308 on layaway. Will eventually tell how it does.
Hey BattleRifleG3 have you got your SPS .308 yet? Sorry for asking, i guess i am just impatient to find out how it goes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have found 2 web based dealers that have most of the rifles I've ever drooled over. 1. eastcountyguns.com has an easy to use search there located in washington. 2. gilbertsguns.com in Ky.is also easy to deal with and i have purchased a 25-06 from them.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I'm still waiting to pick it up. It's not in my backyard, so I have to plan my trips carefully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought one in .243 and love it.It's light and with the core- loc 100 pointed soft points shoots within an 1" circle at 100 yards haven't tried any other ammo.With the price of ammo going thru the roof why doesn't the ammo companys offer a sighting in box? Like 3 to 5 rounds of different loads to see if a round will group. I hate to buy a box only to find out it won't shoot in my gun with ammo at 25.00 to 50.00 a box. My wife says Iv'e bought to many rifles this year but next year will probably buy another 700 sps too many YEAH RIGHT

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i ended up getting it in .308. I have not picked it up yet, but it is paid for and i will pick it up in a couple of days. I will tell how it does soon!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i just picked up a sps varmint .223 for myself. my initial plans were to throw away both the stock, and factory trigger, but i am going to keep this trigger. already took it apart and spent some time with it this morning. with a little effort i got the trigger adjusted to a very crisp 1 pound 13 ounces (much better than i could get out of my savage 12fvss's craputrigger). i'll order an HS precision stock for it, then i just have to figure out how i want to scope it.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I like the SPS Varmint stock myself. Mine (which I have now) will stay bone stock except for a scope.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i think for many, the stock will be A-OKAY. myself i prefer a floated barrel, and dont care for the feel of injection molded plastic. this stock is much sturdier than what savage sells on their rifles, so that is a plus.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There's way too many versions. I'm probably going to buy a 223 for shooting targets with reasonably priced reloads. (my 7.62 gets obnoxious after a couple dozen rounds, and 22s don't feel liek a "real gun"). First I wanted the plain one, then I wanted the SS version so there'd be less worry if it started raining lightly at the range or the cabin (which seems to happen every time I freakin drive out there), then I wanted the varmint version, then I kept going back and forth on the second two, now I want the xr100 instead but still keep thinking maybe one of the sps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts