Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday night I went into a local store to buy a pair of gloves. I walked out with a pair of gloves and a new Remington 700 SS in 30-06. I paid 300 bucks for the rifle. I am assuming it was a fair price? The tag on the box says $612.99 I paid less than half of the original retail price! Of course when I got home I was an honest, caring husband and told the old lady the truth. I told her "I bought the best pair of gloves they had, they where only $322 after taxes and they came with a free rifle!" Something tells me she didn't buy it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Was that just sitting in the 'bargin bin' by the check out or what??? I don't know Remingtons all that well, but I would say you got a deal. Really though, why was it so cheap?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said it had been around awhile and they wanted to get rid of it. It had been marked down once before from $613 to something like $550. It still didn't sell so they really marked it down! I just happened to be there when they did.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put an od scope on it I've had around for years and it was shooting 1.75" groups but I'm sure it will do better because the scope kept shifting it's zero. In the trash it went! Trying to decide what scope to buy and put on it.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got to run some ammo through it today. First 150 gr Federal classic ammo shot 1.5"(all groups at 100yds and cleaned the bore between loads), 180 gr Federal classic shot 2", 150 winchester power points 1.5". Switched to handloads, 150 sst over a 48.0grs IMR-3031 shot .75", 150 sst over 57.4 grs H-4350 shot .90" groups. I can live with 3/4 inch groups from a stock factory rifle. I'm gonna try to tweak the loads a little and see if I can get them down a little more. I should also note that the 180 Federal classic load was the least accurate factory load at 100 yards but was was the tightest grouping at 200 yds.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got this thing shooting groups around half an inch at 100. I went up to 48.5 gr of 3031 under a 150 SST. Shot 2 groups with this load the first was .440 and the second was .600. Pretty darn good for a $300 rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts