Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 700 with a mcmillan stock. It has these 2 holes in the stock by the reciever. They seem to be recoil pins or something. Is there anyway to cap them? I dont think I can just fill them with resin because I want to be able to take the reciever out again at some point.

Shoots great and all, just a minor blemish to an otherwise awesome rifle.

Any input or ideas would be much appreciated. If I need to I can post pictures to clarify the description.

Thanks in advance.

-Skat

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I wonder of you have a redrilled stock? Hope Moose sees this and jumps in. He will know!

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
Look's to me like bubba got to that stock before you did i, that is not the area that recoil lug reinforcement would be put, i have no idea why ther would be holes in that area, but from experiece i think you could remove the action fron the stock and put something on the inside to block the flow and put some kind of resin in from the outside, be sure to tint it to match the stock. I hope i have been some help. Just my opinion.
steve:)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Well,
There are several ways to do it...Best I can think of is some black plastic rod (Dowel) and a small amount of epoxy...Or remove the action and fill with acraglas mixed with some black Dye...using tape inside to back the hole up .
or some small corks inset below the surface and fill the top 1/8 inch with a black epoxy.
Rich

·
Registered
45 Posts
...Or remove the action and fill with acraglas mixed with some black Dye...using tape inside to back the hole up .

I think Mooseman's advice is on the right track.

I still can't figure out what those holes are for.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everybody, great suggestions. I think i'll try resin and black dye. Prolly wont get around to it for a little while but I'll try to remember to post pictures when it is done. Thanks again

-Skat

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
At your local Ace Hardware...or probably Home Depot...or Lowe's, etc, you can buy a small bag of pre-cut wood plugs/caps of various diameters and made from different types of woods. All it takes is to measure the hole diameter, insert the appropriate wooden plug, which has been carefully covered with something like Alligator Glue...or epoxy, and let it dry before putting on a finish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts