Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a remington 700 caliber 243,
i want to change barrels to a 308 win, do some upgrades, a gunsmith would do the barrel, ie kreiger in wiconsin
keep the same stock, it is the vls model ,the laminated one.
the rifle shoots better than i can shoot. but, i want something i can work on, just asking advice, if changing is not good advice, what can i do to get more from that rifle, you can call it something to do for my son and daughter, maybe new triggers, etc. i just started to hand load also

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Have you considered . . . .

Barrel changing is a little much for someone other than a gunsmith
with the right equipment as it involves headspacing, lots of torque,
and equipment not to damage the barrel's exterior (such as a
pipe wrench might do).

Another suggestion would be to buy a .308 in very good interior condition
(action/barrel) that has has a rough exterior life. You could restore
the wood and the metal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I owned 60's vintage 700's in both .243 and .308. The barrel would be the only change as the action would need no alteration. The stock trigger has adjustments on it that later models concealed with heavy lacquer. It can be made to work very well. My current 700 Mountain Rifle in '06 is set at 3 1/2 lbs. pull.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You might run into paying the same price for another rifle in re-barreling this rifle and making the changes you want. I'm not clear on what u want to get more out of the .243. You can bed the stock and free float the barrel. I'd recommend Brownells for bedding the stock and consult their techs for the barrel. If you want a .308 there are alot of them out there and you could do the same there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's a lot of good points here. The money your going to put out on reconditioning this rifle, you could probably buy a new or good used rifle in a 308. I have not had a Remington for a while but back when I had my 6MM and 350 Mag., I remember them having very good triggers. I don't know how old your children are but you want to watch making the trigger to lite for them. If the gun is already a shooter I personally would not mess with it. Start building your collection and when you learn more about the hobby build a custom rifle. When I say build, I mean you decide what you want and have a gunsmith do the work. Just to give you and Idea of the cost. I took a Mauser 98 and had a Shilen barrel installed a Timney trigger,sporter stock,reblued, and all the machine work done and it was close to $1500.00. This is only because the Gunsmith is a friend of mine. I think if I where you I would start with having the action glassed and the barrel free floated. I'm not sure if Remington still has a pressure point at the end of the stock or not. I haven't seen to many Remingtons that are not shooters. Work on building different loads. That's always fun.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If it shoots good I wouldnt advise changing barrels as the new barrel may not shoot as good.What I would do is look for a bargain on a used rifle and make it a project gun.I have done this and usually even getting elaborite it ran less than $800..First,poke up gunsmithing on your confuser and get prices.Stay away from milsurp actions as they have weak actions and sloppy tolerances and require more work than a used hunting rifle.If you do decide to do it yourself get a book on it and invest in a barrel vice and action wrench.It's fun and not all that expensive or difficult. sam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts