Remington 700?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Ferroflame, May 11, 2008.

1. Ferroflame

Ferroflame G&G Newbie

I've been thinking about adding a Remington Model 700 to my small but growing collection...

I've heard very good things about them, so I went over to one of my local dealers to check a few out...

First thing I thought was "Wow. They're smaller than I thought they'd be!".

I looked at quite a few, but two really caught my eye. One had a nice, traditional checkard stock. Felt good in my hands. Had iron sights mounted on it (apparently that's somewhat uncommon...) and was also drilled and tapped, ready for a scope to be mounted (as all are.). That one was chambered for the 30-06.

The second one was the VTR chambered for 308. I'm not sure how many of you have one or have ever held one, but the grip on them is outstanding.

I like them both, and they're both around $700. I'm leaning a bit towards the one with the wooden stock, however, I'm afraid that the 30-06 in that little gun might destroy my shoulder.

Thanks in advance for the advice and info guys!

Ferro!

(PS: Sorry if my spelling is way off. It's 2:00AM where I am, and I'm not using Firefox. >_<)

2. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

.30-06

3. Ferroflame

Ferroflame G&G Newbie

Haha! Well that's a very simple answer! Thanks Mitch. Also, the .30-06 was a BDL. I looked it up on Remington's website.

4. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

Oh, oh! Double oh, oh!
    That'n ought to be nice!

Here's my favorite rifle in a 700 ADL .308. Such a good rifle:

DSC08221.JPG

DSC08222.JPG

DSC08223.JPG

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  5. DKA1

DKA1 G&G Newbie

Have 3 700's now, 22-250, 243, and 270. All 3 are very accurate rifles and very dependable. Have used 700's for several years and plan to continue.

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I am going to go for the short action .308 type rifles strictly because I personally have developed a fondness for what they can produce and the way they perform.This is personal but I don't care if you criticise me.I love controversy. sam.

7. turner

turner Guest

+1..... No controversy there....your .308, because of modern powders can also be a 30/06 and provide the same performance that has impressed hunters and shooters for over a century, and coming from a S/A to boot, a lighter and shorter rifle. If they question the "low" performance of that S/A .308, you can mention that in LM form it has the same trajectory as a .243 100gr load, over 3,000FPE at the muzzle, and over 1600FPE at 400yds while shooting a hefty 165gr load. My choice for a new Remington might just be a 700 CDL in 7mm/08 or Model Seven CDL in 7mm/08 or the tried and true .308.

8. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

years of enjoyment

Ferroflame: Sir; good round :)good 700 :)

9. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I absolutely love my 700BDL in 308. I hold high regards for the 06 but enjoy the versiltility of handloading the 308. I can't say enough good about it. To maximize the enjoyment, save for a quality set of rings and scope.

[​IMG]

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    do you have a specific purpose in mind for the rifle?

11. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Yes, it is pretty hard to suggest a caliber and gun without knowing what it is going to be used for...

Ron

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

700 BDL Remington in 30.06

This 700 Remington has a Leupold 3x9x40 scope mounted. Overall it weighs around 7 lbs, which seems heavier the longer you carry it hunting. I prefer the checkered walnut stock...especially since I'm a woodworking hobbiest, too.

Attached Files:

13. jerry

USA

Good point there guys. The 06 and 308 are similar in performace untill the heavier projectiles come into play. For Elk and larger, I'd recommend the or, otherwise the 308 would cover about everything else well.

It would be interesting to hear what he wants it for.

14. Ferroflame

Ferroflame G&G Newbie

What would the gun be used for?

Hmm...

I'm thinking hunting, mostly. Some plinking with the family as well.

Another reason for buying the one with the wood stock is my dad said it looks exactly like the one my Grandfather had. My Grandfather was really a bigtime gun collector. I never got to meet him. He died before I was born. I think it'd be kinda cool to have one of the same firearms that my Grandfather had. Heh...

15. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

The reason it is uncommon to have sights on the barrel, is that very few hunters actually hunt with open sights and would prefer to have a clean looking barrel with no sights or evidence there was sights on the barrel.

As far as calibers go, there is nothing really wrong with the 30-06 as it has been around a long time. But, if you have specific game in mind, there is almost always a better choice. For varmints and target shooting only, I would suggest a .223 Remington. For varmints, targets and game no larger than deer, a .243 Win is nice. If your main intest is in the biggest game, and want to be sure you have the power, then I would suggest the 7mm Rem Mag is better than the 30-06. And if you only can have one gun for it all, then it is really hard to beat the .270.

So if you don't have big game in mind, then I think you will find the .243 or .223 Rem much more pleasant to shoot.

The 700 Remington is a good gun and you really can't go wrong by picking what you like the look of. For a classic looking gun I really like their CDL SF Special Edition.

[​IMG]

It is a nice blend of older classic looks and some new features. The silver stainless barrel and flutting probably do not match the one your grandfather had. Back then flutting was unheard of (at least to me), and the stainless barrels were coated to make them look blued. I have one. The down side is that this model only comes in .260 Remington. This is a nice cartridge too, but quite unpopular, so you would have to handload your ammo for sure. And that is not a bad idea unless you only shoot a box or two of ammo per year.

Hope that helps some,

Ron

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  16. I'm partial to 308, but I'm an old dinosaur. Dont get me wrong, I have 4 30-06 military rifles, 3 bolt action, which go out at least 2 times a year for matches and perform just as well as my two 308s
    If you're hell bent on 308 and are going to use it for target shooting, look at the SP, it's the sniper rifle of choice in my area. The SP has a few things done to it ( polished bolt face and the action smoothed out action and a superb trigger) You have to break in the barrel which is a pain in the butt I can only say that the three that we had, had tight chambers and 7.62 surplus ammo did not work in them. Of the three we had two shot Federal 308 match the best and the other liked Winchester 308 Match you'll have to find out what shoots best no matter what you buy or if you reload the find the best load for the rifle. I shoot an AR-10 and an M1A in High Power matches each is the same length case and oal, but different powders.(748 and 3031) (semi-autos)
    If you're going to use it for hunting, you'll have to figure out what you'll be hunting before you decide what cal. you need. Any 700 should shoot MOA if it's broken in correctly. I'm waiting to get my paws on a Remington with the Mauser 98 action. I'll see if I can get it in 223 or 243 if not it'll be 308 or 30-06 depending on action length.
    Bear in mind though, I'm not a good rifle shooter, I won my trophies shoot pistol in competition. My experience with rifles is by being rangemaster and armorer for my department.

Ernie

17. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

You should be able to pick up a used one in a common caliber for about $400. There are lots of them around.

18. Don357

Don357 G&G Evangelist

Just a quick question, Is a 700 BDL in .270 a long action or short action?

19. jerry

USA
  20. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    long, actually more correctly it is a standard length action.