Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a 7mm mag in a 700 sps stainless with a leupold 3-9x40 scope but that is going to be a pot full of cash so i was wondering would be worth the savings to just buy a 710 in 7mm mag? I appreciate any input. thanks Paul

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Bring on the flaming of the 710's...

I have never shot a model 700. I just got (like 2 weeks ago) a 7 mag Rem 710. A guy I work with bought it and decided he didn't want it and offered it to me for $200 (never even shot it). I put the scope on my .17 HMR, and put a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 on it, for a total investment of $400 and change. I believe that's what the 700's run with no scope...

I've only been to the shooting range with it once, and I was on my lunch break and in a rush. I was EXTREMELY pleased with the gun. It did just over 1" center to center 3 shot groups (probably about 1.25", but I didn't measure). The recoil was significantly less than I was expecting. It wasn't bad at all, kinda like a constant gentle push as opposed to a violent slap...

Anyway, is the 710 as well built or as accurate as the 700? I seriously doubt it. Would I do anything different if I could go back? Not at all. I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The stock is ugly, though...

if anyone has any suggestions as to painting it or something else, throw it out there. Maybe sand it down and put some bedliner on it? That would look cool.... I guess maybe that's the Jeeper in me coming out!!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Wow..I have heard of painting a synthetic stock before, but man, bedliner caoting? I think it just might work! And you couldn't ask for a more tough finish.
Anyway as for the question between the 710 and 700? Unless you happen to find a 710 for a good price, I wouldn't go straight for it. If you can afford a 700, then by all means go for it first. The action of the 700 is totally different, not to mention the action that actual sniper rifles for the army and marines is based off of. But if I found a 710 for cheap, I'd pick it up. They aren't meant to be pretty or the most smoothly tight, and accurate action around, but they are about as rugged as you can get.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
but they are about as rugged as you can get.
Not trying to put the rifle down, but a customer came into the smiths shop about 4 months ago with a 710. It had a broken stock and bolt handle. Now it's true he broke it by mis-handling (got mad and threw it down)...but I can promise ya'll none of my milsurps will come apart when thrown down. Btw; It was gonna cost a great deal more to fix the rifle than it was worth at the time.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Check them out in person. Know what you want. Examine all the details, ie bolt throw angle, finish, ergonomics, bolt smoothness, magazine loading preferences, and such. If you like the 710 initially your opinion will only improve. Its finish is EXTREMELY durable. If there's anything about the 710 you won't like, ie handling, operating, etc, you'll know if you have the chance to work the bolt and dry fire. If you still like it, go for it.

Good alternatives besides the Rem 700 are the Savage/Stevens, Tikka, Winchester, Weatherby/Howa, and a few others. There's more difference between a 710 and a 700 than a Win M70 and a 700.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
a good rifle is a lifetime investment , pay a little more now or pay again later. the 700 is a better choice.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thrawn said:
Not trying to put the rifle down, but a customer came into the smiths shop about 4 months ago with a 710. It had a broken stock and bolt handle. Now it's true he broke it by mis-handling (got mad and threw it down)...but I can promise ya'll none of my milsurps will come apart when thrown down. Btw; It was gonna cost a great deal more to fix the rifle than it was worth at the time.
LOL ...he must have gotten pretty mad. From where did he throw it from, a skyscraper?:D

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Rem 700 is far from a budget gun. I saw a Win M70 in 30-06 with scope for $300 even and the world's largest retailer. Course I'd never buy there, but the 710 at the same store costs more. Again, it's more like the 700 than the 710 is. Weatherby Vanguards aren't as cheap but come with a test target from that rifle guaranteeing 1.5moa or better. I also saw a Savage package gun with accutrigger for $350 at the same place, which is what the 710s used to go for as a rule.

If you're planning to buy new, you can mix and match scope and rifle. A Leopold Scope on a savage gun in 7mm Rem Mag should be a light weight, decently priced, and very accurate rifle if put together properly. I have a Weaver scope on a pre-accutrigger Savage 111G, the whole thing totaled about $500, and it has held up very well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys. That is pretty much what i thought about the 710 but i just wanted some feedback from some people that have had one. My dad had a 700 in 7mm and that is what i killed my first elk with, so i think i am just going to save up and buy what i really want. Like lefty o said,"A good rifle is a lifetime investment."
Thanks again

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
700s are fine guns, just know that they too have their weaknesses. One thing I don't think anyone really likes about the Remingtons is what I call a "phantom" extractor. They basically use a clip recessed inside the bolt face with the extractor included. Now I don't know of any failures of these, but it isn't anything good in my opinion. The Remingtons also use button ejectors, a feature liked by a few and disliked by many. Many other guns also use button ejectors.

Some Savages, particularly the Stevens models, use a button ejector. My Savage 111G has a positive ejector with a basic normal extractor. I've seen Winchesters with both too. One thing that you may want to consider if you're into hunting which may require serious high speed high stress reloads is something with a Mauser-like claw extractor. These include the Ruger M77 and some Winchesters.

If any of this is greek to you, it would be a good idea to become familiar with it before plunking down lots of cash on a new rifle. What you need depends on what sort of hunting and territory you'll be in, what your personal preferences are, and what ultimately matters most. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good about the Remington 700 and even the 710, but there are also a number of good guns out there. If you want to buy American, Remington or Savage are pretty much your choices.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
for a little more money, there is cooper rifles and dakota arms. both made in america , rem and savage arent the only choices, just the cheap choices.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
coopers start at about $1000, and for that kind of money they come with an accuracy guarantee. centerfires are guaranteed for 1/2" at 100 yds, rimfires are 1/4" at 50. dakota's are expensive, but the cooper is the best gun on the market for the money. i currently have a cooper rimfire on order, and if it meets my expectations my next hunting rifle will bear the cooper name. 1" accuracy is no longer acceptable to me in a factory rifle, when its just not that much more effort to build a sub 1"gun. like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was also considering the savage 110 w/ accutrigger :nod: cause my dad has a friend that can get me a brand new one in the package model and a harris bipod clone for $460. Pretty sweet deal i thought.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The Savage is a quality gun. Very accurate and simple, and the accutriggers take care of the only former complaint, which I don't share on my pre-accutrigger model.

Not sure exactly what to suggest, but my specimen has had magazine issues. I've fired it mostly single shot, but a detachable mag version may be the right choice to give you your best magazine bet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts