Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how to remove the bolt from the upper reciever on a remington 7400?
I broke the ejection handle and need to replace it. I have broken the rifle down to the upper reciever but cant get the bolt or slide out.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
It`s been a while, but I think on my old remington 788 you needed to pull the trigger back and then withdraw the bolt, give that a try.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you mean you broke the bolt handle you do not have to remove the bolt to replace this. As you've already removed the trigger group...position the bolt handle and ejection port cover so as to gain access to the bolt handle retaining pin. You'll have to drive the pin downward, remove the bolt handle to the right side of the arm. When replacing note the longitudinal stake marks on one end of the pin..the opposite end should be inserted. Line everthing up then drive the pin in. HTH

·
Registered
166 Posts
Johnny,
The Model 7400 is a gas operated semiautomatic rifle very similar to a semiauto shotgun...the Remington requires special tools and a lot of patience to remove the bolt from the receiver!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Oh, dopey ol`me... It`s 10 years since semi auto rifles and shotguns were legal here, for all intents and purposes. I broke a golden rule, if you don`t know for sure, you prolly shouldn`t clutter the thread, I appologise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You first have to remove the foreend assembly (big flathead screwdriver needed) then remove the trigger group by pushing the two pins out the side (they are retained by a spring arm and come out and reinstall easily), then remove the barrel assembly by loosening the bolt that retains the barrel/gas action component onto the front of the receiver. There is a special wrench sold by Brownell's for this but on the later model guns (mine's a 74 sportsman in 30-06) I believe you can use a good (NOT the thin junky types) open end wrench to get this bolt off and back on. It HAS to be tight...
After pulling the barrel you should be able to jiggle the bolt assembly out seeing as how you've busted the bolt handle off.
To reassemble, do in reverse but you will have to pin the new handle to the bolt after reinstallation.
To get to the stage of getting the barrel off and the trigger/sear group out is really easy, the last part may require a little cussing.
The 788 is a bolt action and is nothing at all like the 74 series semi autos which are, if kept clean and you use bullets that are long enough, really excellent guns....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts