Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sure is, just with a little face lift...if you could say that.
I don't think there is any big changes other than the all matte black.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Yes, its just another 710, with a different stock, Remington tried to trick us :D

·
Registered
202 Posts

I bought a 710 in 30-06, shot good, acccurate but had the worst action I have ever seen. you get what you pay for, even though I got a NEF in 22-250, single shot, bull bbl. for about $300 bucks and it is a nail driver! I got rid of the 710.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
The Remington 710 and 770 are THE best rifles for dragging through the woods, getting dirty, and wiping clean with no marks to show for it. They are reasonably accurate and have a very comfortable stock. Integral scope rail works well.

In all other ways, yeah, they're not so great. But they have their place.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BRG3- not to bash a particular rifle but ive never seen a 710 that would take that kind of punishment and still operate. Ive had two occasionas on the range where the bolt handles have broken off 710s of different calibers with no abuse. The stocks are good but the remainder of the rifle is prety poor in my expierence.

SW

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Hey, if you saw that happen then it certainly is a big deal. I never heard of that happening before now.

My statements on the 710 were related to its surface resistance to weather and dirt. Mechanical wear under high forces is another matter, and on that one I agree it's not the best.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Remington did have some sales success with the 710, so it would make sense to come out with a newer model, but I would just opt for the 700 ADL if I wanted to abuse a gun in the woods.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The ADL hasbeen replaced with the SPS, which doesn't appear to have an open sited version. I'm hoping to get two SPSs this year.

Oops, I did it again. This is BR, hot WH.

·
Registered
1 Posts
710/770

in my eyes, for anyone to hold a respectable opinion on any rifle they should have at least owned that rifle at one time not just held it at a store or heard about it. Sure i agree the 700 is a much better rifle but i do believe the 770 has its place. accurate and cost effective are ways i would describe my rifle. after adding a bipod,better scope,and a bullet band its a pretty awesome rife for hunting or targeting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My brother has two 710's and he loves them. He has a 300 mag and a 270. They both are very accurate. I know that they arent the prettiest gun i've ever seen but they seem alright to me.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
sorry guys, but you dont have to own something to know its not quality. didnt have to buy a yugo to know it wasnt a good car!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The Remington 710 is by far the best long gun ever produced. Stories that you hear of bolts breaking, gritty triggers and actions, moderate accuracy, and ugly looks are ALL simply made up or very bad misunderstandings.

Every one of these is capable of 1" groups at 400yds easy.

Ok so seriously... They're ugly, and while not pieces of crap, don't compare to the 700, or even to other brands of "budget" or "package" guns in my opinion. They do work, but honestly there are better choices.

I also agree that the 770 is just the new revamped 710...

·
Registered
121 Posts

I do own a Remington model 710 chambered for 243win.

I also own a Model 700 in 308win. If given the choice between the two i would hands down take the 710 because it doesnt seem to be as sensitive to abuse as the 700.

my only complaint about the 710 is that the length of pull was a little short and i am not that big of a guy (5'10" 130lbs) but after adding a slip on recoil pad the extra inch made the pull much better.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
It is possible to examine something and evaluate it on some level. But it's important to identify what criteria you're evaluating it on. The Rem 710 is excellent in some ways and terrible in others. You have to pick what's important to you. As a new shooter I found the 710 to serve the purpose of a basic 30-06 that needs very little sighting in and offers the technical advantages of a durable finish, detachable mag, and 60 degree bolt throw. When those things mattered less to me than a smooth bolt, smooth safety, and the ability to load from the top, along with other chambering choices, the 710 left and a Savage came in.

One thing that frustrates me is when someone says something's just crap without clarifying why.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My 270 in the stainless model 770 is a great shooting gun topped it off with the nikon buckmaster 3x9x40 and it is great

·
Registered
121 Posts
when i said that the 700 that i have seems to be more sensitive to abuse i mean that the tolerances are tighter and if i dropped the gun into the dirt while hunting i would feel the need to clean it before firing again even if it didnt appear dirty in the least.

on the other hand the 710 that i have seems to have more room for dirt particles to go and not create damage. if that big buck walked into range after the 710 hit the dirt id wipe it as clean as i could and take the shot that i wouldnt take with the 700.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts