Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shooting 788

I wanted a "good shooting" rifle to use on prairie dogs, I've got a Rem. 700 22-250, it shoots well, just something better. A friend and I went to a gun show, I saw a Rem 788 in .223, the guy wanted $ 135.00 for it, have had it for 10 years now, outshoots the .22-250! I put a Harris bi-pod on it, can knock the snot out of pd's at 500 yds with no effort, some I've hit further out, not having a range finder, I can only guess. Best little rifle I've ever owned, it sure likes Hornady 52 and 53 gr HP's, the pd's don't though, but the vapor mists left tell a different story. Remington should have stuck with this model, their thoughts about improvement didn't really come true.

788Ham

"He was just too high strung" Doc Holliday
I also shoot a 788 at P-Dogs I swicthed to 52 gr. A-Max from H.P. they really do make more MIST. Longest measured shot 750 yrds. I filled in the bottom loading port made it a single shot, converted an H. S. Precision stock with 9 slots in bottom of forearm for coolimg. Put a break on the 26" barrel so I could see bullet impact better. Mounted a 6.5x20 scope it is wonderfull to shoot. Also use a 700, it has an H S Precision stock A 26" barrel with break. got 800+ out of it. I use H380 powder (38.5gr.) .030 of lands. both guns shoot same load. They are glass-bedded and floated with target crowns. I reworked the 788 trigger (drilled housing for adjustment screw to remove creep and lighter spring) 1.5 lbs. the 700 has a Kepplinger single set trigger, on set it's somewhere around 6 oz. going in May to make MIST can't wait. Al

·
Registered
114 Posts
bgr,

Hope you had a "misting" good time, wish I'd been along, been a couple of years since I've busted a pd! Will take a look at your recipe on the H380 powder, sounds like it might work pretty good. I have several boxes of bullets, and with things getting worse, don't know where I might get any A-Max's.
If you care to, write back and I'll give you my email address, then we can jabber off this web site. Thanks for writing back.

788Ham

"He was just too high strung" Doc Holliday

·
Registered
3 Posts
788 reason to quit

The reason Remington quit making the 788 is that the original design of how they were going to make the cuts in the action for the bolt did not work out. The cost for making the 788 was too expensive using the tooling method they ended up with. It actually cost as much to make as the 700. The story that they quit cause they were accurate has been around for 40 years or more. While it is true they are very accurate and it may have been embarrasing to the muckity mucks that it shot as well or better than the 700's, the reason they quit the 788 was the cost of the machining was too high, in fact it cost as much to make a 788 as the much easier to market and nicer looking (in many people's opinions) 700's.
It was a marketing decision that was forced when the engineers could not make the 'new method' of making these cuts work.
I remember the cost for these rifles back then were very low. It was only after people figured out how accurate these were that the prices went up.
The biggest drawback and ironically the strongest advantage, in my opinion was the rear locking lugs. The design allowed a fast lock time and it caused undo stretching of cases when is some calibers the pressures reached maximum.
The least affected calibers (for stretching) were the 222 family.
The longest case, the 6 mm was the most affected by stretching -- if the pressures reached maximum.
I have heard people praise their 6mm 788's (I for one would not mind having one) and my sister-in-law has a 6mm in a left handed version. It was a gift from her deceased first husband, so it is not for sale. Pity, it has probably only a couple boxes of shells shot through it. Not even borke in yet. He gave it to her, probably sometime in the early 70's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Rem. 788 in 243

My Son quit hunting and took up fishing and gave me a Rem. Mod. 788 in 243 which I really don't need. Took it out and sighted in the BSA 3-9 and was really impressed with the group at 100 yds. The front and rear sights are gone but screws are there, he (a cop) sprayed the stock with what looks like Rhino truck bed liner (black) to make it look tactical....I like the look and feel. He said there was really good wook underneath. 90% is prob. a good estimate of condition. Now....any of you Rem. guys got a figure in mind I should ask for my rifle? In Texas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another question re my 788 243 cal. Can I send modern firearms (rifles) via USPS without black suburbans pulling into my driveway? Or, do I have to go thru a licensed dealer to licensed dealer? In Texas

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another question re my 788 243 cal. Can I send modern firearms (rifles) via USPS without black suburbans pulling into my driveway? Or, do I have to go thru a licensed dealer to licensed dealer? In Texas
FFL holder to FFL holder for a gun sale requiring shipping. Non if the rifle is picked up at you place by the buyer. If it's going to be transfered across state lines I'd recommend a FFL holder to a FFL holder for the buyer to be legal. I'm no lawyer and I don't play one on TV so, take my reply as such.

In regards to the 788 -vs- 700. The model 788 was an accurate rifle with the model 700 being so as well. The rifles design and grade offerings give the model 700 the edge as does replacement parts for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My Rem. 788 in 243

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Son quit hunting and took up fishing and gave me a Rem. Mod. 788 in 243 which I really don't need. Took it out and sighted in the BSA 3-9 and was really impressed with the group at 100 yds. The front and rear sights are gone but screws are there, he (a cop) sprayed the stock with what looks like Rhino truck bed liner (black) to make it look tactical....I like the look and feel. He said there was really good wook underneath. 90% is prob. a good estimate of condition. Now....any of you Rem. guys got a figure in mind I should ask for my rifle? In Texas

I wanted to know if you would like to sell the gun to me? I had one growing up and I really would like to have another one for my son to have. I'm offering $100.00.
Thanks

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
I'm offering $300 and i live in Ok just north of you. PM me if interested.
Steve

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I own two 788's in .222 and 6mm, both shoot good. I was in my local gunshop today buying another rifle and we go to bulling abot 788's and he said he had a magazine for both of them. I bought them on the spot and hate to say what I gave for them,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington 788 in .308 Win

Any Remington 788 fans out there? Got a carbine version in .308 with a 4X Tasco. Handloading to see what it prefers. Good accurate little gun. If I can't get that new 7X57 Ruger #1A to shoot the way I want it to, I'll take the 788 up deer hunting this year.
I'm looking for a Remington 788 in .308 Win in decent shape that has been taken care of. Please let me know if you know where one can be found or if you would part with yours.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Well I went and done it - bought me ANOTHER 788 in 6mm. Love the 788 plus I love the 6mm Rem for all around Varmint work. Now with TWO in 6mm I think I will have one for yote, javelina and white tail and build the other into a dedicated PD gun. Got my eyes on a nice Boyds laminate stock and a big Mueller scope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 788, in .308, but it's bolt is missing. Do any readers have a suggestion? I have looked at Brownell and Numrich. I'm at a lost. I know that a replacement bolt will have to be headspaced but it's too good a gun to waste. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
missing 788 bolt

I have a 788, in .308, but it's bolt is missing. Do any readers have a suggestion? I have looked at Brownell and Numrich. I'm at a lost. I know that a replacement bolt will have to be headspaced but it's too good a gun to waste. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 788 in 6 mm i am looking to get rid of if anyone is interested
and i am looking for a left handed 243 or 6mm for my 12 year old daughter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was given a Remington 788 manufactured in 1967. The gun was purchased new in 67, but the owner never used it or shot it. Its chambered in .30-.30. I own a lot of guns , but I have never seen a bolt action .30-.30. I am having a problem with the safety. I can not get the thing to budge! There is no paperwork with this gun. The original owner bought it for a hunting trip, that never developed. It has been in its case unfired, since he bought it. The gun is very clean, he did keep it oiled. Can anyone give me some advice on this safety?

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts