close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

remington 870 super mag rifled barrel

Discussion in 'Remington' started by creightonpaguy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. creightonpaguy

creightonpaguy G&G Newbie

Hello everyone!!! Frequent lurker here, I have a technical question hope someone has experience or has the same setup. I have an 870 express super mag remington, I bought a rifled barrel from gander mountain for it, but the guy at gander said the rifled barrel needed modified to fit the super mag correctly since the receiver is a little longer. Now,, after google searches,, calling remington themselves etcc,,,, still no definitive answer. The barrel fits fine as far as i can tell, remington rep said yes it should be fine for shooting 2 3/4" or 3" slugs. The rifled barrel is product number 24611 and it's stamped for 2 3/4-3" shells only.

any one use this setup?

Thanks for any/all replies

2. Rambo

Rambo I just shot your dog in this fight Forum Contributor

I used a Hastings rifled barrel on my 870 and never had issues. It had a warning to NOT use Remington Copper Solid slugs but I had no problem with it. The 870 Express is different than the regular 870 so you better double-check the barrel fit and make sure the replacement barrel is for the Express model.
    I shoot an 11-87 now with a rifled cantilevered barrel.
    Take a close look at the ends of both barrels(rcvr ends) and measure everything, slots, cut-outs, etc. and if they are the same, fire away(close your eyes first though).
    Remington says the barrel will work on any 870 but use the 3" shells with the Magnum rcvr only. I thought the Express were different but not according to their site.
    Can't help you any more than that.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

3. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Don't put anything bigger than 3" in the chamber. The chamber is for 3" only! The barrel may fit the receiver, but the chamber is in the barrel. If you try a 3.5" shell, it shouldn't fit. If it does, take it out and don't shoot it!! Stay with what the barrel says. You will not regret that. If you put something in that is bigger than what the barrel says, and try to fire it, there is a good chance that you will regret it. Stay safe! Eyes and fingers do NOT grow back.

4. creightonpaguy

creightonpaguy G&G Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys!!! Appreciated, off course I won't be using 3 1/2"'s!!!! 3's only.

5. It looks like it's been awhile since your original post, but I was just wondering how this setup worked out for you? I too have a Rem express super mag that shoots 3 1/2's, and I too recently purchased the exact same model "fully rifled" barrel from Gander Mountain.