Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Just joined the forum and this is my first post.

Just bought a used Remington 870 wingmaster, 20 ga from a fellow I work with.

The gun is in great physical shape and I think I got a decent deal on it.

My question is this. All wingmasters that I see today seem to have a vented rib barrel. This one has a plain barrel. It is not rifled.

Does this indicate an age? Serial number is S010719X. Don't know if age can be discerned from SN?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Is there any lettering with the 870?Does it say 2 3/4" or 3" chamber? Does it say Wingmaster or 870 Express?How long is the barrel?Does it have screwin chokes?For Mooseman,s benefit what is the serial#? sam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and quick replies. In response to some of the questions asked about the 870....

The barrel does say 2-3/4 and the gun also has the wingmaster name.

The only other markings on the barrel (besides Remington info and patent no's) is on the left side of the barrel there are stampings of "IMP CYL" and X R 60.

On the right side, below patent info, there is what appears to be (Z.E.P) in small letters.

Again thanks for the help and insights.

Ben

Sorry, forgot to answer one question. Barrel is 28".

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Then MM already named it right.You are restricted to 2 3/4 shells but that is no limitation at all.That is about all I use anyway.You have a true Wingmaster.Great. samuel.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey Ben I also have a plain barrel wingmaster in full choke and other than popping me in the jaw sometimes when I shoot it, its an exellent shotgun.
It's interesting yours has an Improved Cylinder barrel, Back then normaly when bought off the shelf they were Full or Modified choke.
If'in you ever want a different barrel for your gun Remington and Mossbrg have barrels readily available for it. And there so easy to change out.
Congrats on your new gun...A.H

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for all of the input.

Used to hunt when I was a kid in Pennsylvania. Once I got into the working world, I have been transferred all over the place, so I got out of it for a while.

Finally landed here in Western North Carolina where the hunting and fishing are great.

Wanted to get back into it without a huge expense.

Looking forward to shooting this one and then building a little collection as time goes on.

Wonderful forum with helpful folks!

A great weekend to all!

Ben

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yea I love my wingmaster too has yet to fail me don't know how old mine is actually but I love it. Mine is a 12 ga. but my sister has a 20 ga. wingmaster that works good too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello again.

Well, finally got a chance to use the 20 ga wingmaster this past weeked. Went Quail hunting.

First 2 shots, 2 birds! After that, I missed a few. Ended up with 8. What a great time that was. As I said earlier, I hadn't been hunting in years.

Definitely have the bug again!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts