Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used these bullets ever they look pretty good but I don't know. They would definitely take the place of smaller caliber weapons other than cost if they were any good

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I used them a long time ago out of a Marlin 30-30 to kill woodchucks with. Accuracy wouldn't set a varmit rifle loonys heart a flutter but they did the job out to 150 yards or so.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I keep and buy all I can find at gun shows...They scream a .22 Cal sabot Bullet with very light recoil in 30/06 but the bullets tend to explode on impact within 200 yards on a heavier animal.
Rich

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Deadly on Fox, wolf, coyotes, Lynx, but That is about all I would use em on up here. Caribou have very thick hollow hair and tough hides so you have to have a heavy bullet for penetration.
I shot a 300 lb.hog once and all it did was blow the hide off the shoulder...didn't penetrate the pad...
Deer, I never tried, but depending on the weight, like Florida Deer , which are small and run 75 to 100 lbs, they might work ok.
Rich

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I shot a Turkey with one at 150 yards when I was a teenager - I know it was not the sporting thing to do, but I was a teenager - and that dang turkey had made me mad. I had played around with him for several weeks - the right way (one smart turkey). Anyway the bullets seemed to be very accurate. Only I would not recommend shooting anything you plan on eating with it - was not a pretty sight - violent expansion! I don't think you would get good penetration on larger game. I would likely avoid them for anything but predators.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have shot them out of my Rem 30-06 a lot for varmit hunting, love them.... they are easy on recoil and really accurate too. (Will flip a chuck head over heels) The only draw back is they leave behind a slight plastic coating in the bore and you should thourghly clean the bore after extend sessions with the sabboted rounds or the accuracy of the gilded jacketed bullets will suffer untill you shoot out the plastic left behind.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I loaded up some sabots for my 300WSM and shot 'em at a target 100 yards away. I don't think I hit it once. Fortunately for me, I looked down the barrel after each shot and found unburned powder in there. It seems you need to underload them to get all the powder to burn.

I got my sabots from a guy in Utah. $33.00 for 500. I think his company name is JD Enterprises or something like that...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
guess what i found....

this discussion got me to thinking, and i went out in the shop and looked through all the old ammo boxes there..... glory be! i found a box of 30-30 accelerators with 4 rounds still in it..... guess what im going to do this weekend with those 4 rounds....depending on the results, i may just end up ordering some sabots and accelerator dies soon....

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
The Military Must like them , they put a Tungsten carbide .223 bullet in a sabot .308 and call them SLAP rounds (Sabot Light Armor Piercing)...I have a handfull of them I'm saving...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts