Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a cheap way to avoid buying a 220 swift. Anybody ever try and of the 30/22 sabot loads or ever load their own? Is it woth it or did they disappear because it was just a silly gimmick? My .30-06 wants to know.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I keep some in my ammo safe

My 30-06 likes em just fine....They do tend to de-stabilize after the first 200 yards though...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm looking for a cheap way to avoid buying a 220 swift. Anybody ever try and of the 30/22 sabot loads or ever load their own? Is it woth it or did they disappear because it was just a silly gimmick? My .30-06 wants to know.
I have seen the sabots and knew a fellow that reloaded them but acuracy was not that great,I had a full box of 30-06 factory accelerators and gave them away to a friend that had a 30-06 but he went to the happy hunting grounds so I cant ask how they shot. I really dont think they are all that acurate though and cost for sabots and then bullets dont thrill me that much but I have a 22-250 and it shoots the 22cal bullets just fine.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I've heard they aren't that accurate also. But if you need to put a bullet into something that doesn't have rifling marks on it.....

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Wasn't much happening in the forums so I've been cruising the archives. I haven't thought of it much lately but had considered using the 30-30 version with a cheap Gen. 1 night scope for the coyotes. If I could get the sabots, I could load my own.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
J&D Components used to sell them www.jdcomponents.com got this out of a old Shotgun News laying around in my reloading room dont know if they are still in business worth a try if you want some sabots,I will bet they are not $6.00 for 100 anymore and there are a few more that sell them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
J&D Components used to sell them www.jdcomponents.com got this out of a old Shotgun News laying around in my reloading room dont know if they are still in business worth a try if you want some sabots,I will bet they are not $6.00 for 100 anymore and there are a few more that sell them.
I was wrong they are still $6.00 for 100 and in other calibers,let us know how well they shoot.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks,
I've always wanted to see what they would do.
I was a little shocked to see the same price $6.00 for 100 the Shotgun News was from 2002,they have not raised their price in 8 years.Wonder if anyone ever tried a cast bullet ?I may get some and try in my CZ-52 pistol with a cast bullet.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This shows it has been done with cast bullets,30 Heret and M1 Carbine.Article said recovered bullets fired into wet phone books were the size of a dime,if they dont shoot strait it would not matter,a miss dont make a hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I'm surprised some bliss-ninny hasn't campaigned to get those outlawed yet, as "assassin's bullets that can't be traced", or some such nonsense.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm surprised some bliss-ninny hasn't campaigned to get those outlawed yet, as "assassin's bullets that can't be traced", or some such nonsense.
The oldtimers used paperpached bullets and I have been doing a little research,you can wrap them so the paper flies apart and the only ingraveing it just on the paper and not the bullet and use some of the soft lead.Claims are they can be shot as fast as a copper jacket bullet.I have not tried them but will be loading some cast bullets soon,about got all the moulds I need for what I shoot.Then will play with some paperpached bullets.Remington quit makeing the sabot ammo some time around or before 2002 so all that ammo made that is out there is or will be colector ammo.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Actually,

the accelerator concept did not work out well in the marketplace. Yes, some people did have some success but most did not.

The basic problem - a .30-06 has a rifling rate of twist to stabilize .30 caliber bullets of a certain weight range. The screaming velocity sabot bullet was just too light in bullet weight and too fast velocity wise for the rifling. Thus, as can be expected some real lack of accuracy issues emerged for many shooters.

Of course, the problem could have been solved with a custom barrel but then the custom barrel would not have the right rate of twist for .30 caliber bullets.

When I was young (before the accelerator concept) there was a great deal of wildcatting based on the .30-06 cartridge case. Custom barrels with the proper rate of twist were mated to the wildcat thus having success.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I tried Rem Accels in 30.06 years ago. The accuracy SUCKED!

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Well I've got about 6800 22 bullets of various sizes and the sabots are only $6 per 100 or so.Cheaper than a box of 30 cal varmint bullets. I'm planning on using it in the backyard and want to make sure I use something fragible.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
The oldtimers used paperpached bullets and I have been doing a little research,you can wrap them so the paper flies apart and the only ingraveing it just on the paper and not the bullet and use some of the soft lead.Claims are they can be shot as fast as a copper jacket bullet.I have not tried them but will be loading some cast bullets soon,about got all the moulds I need for what I shoot.Then will play with some paperpached bullets.Remington quit makeing the sabot ammo some time around or before 2002 so all that ammo made that is out there is or will be colector ammo.
I still paper patch for the 45-90 and 45-70, at velocities of 2400 fps they are exceptional, since you have been doing the research I am sure you know but it takes a special bullet to paper patch not any normal bullet can be used, I have seen guys paper patch the 22 Hornet and get good groups but my patience to roll those bullets is non-existent if anyone is interested in patching I would be happy to PM you guys and explain the details but without known interest it is too long of a post... LOL

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Might try starting kind of slow and work up to find a sweet spot where they work in your rifle well,there is some computed load data on the website where the sabots are but no start point.For the sabot to shed it has to be moving at a certain speed,might be a starting point and then work up.Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts