Remington Arms filing for bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Remington' started by Cyrano, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Seems like this is going to happen. There is a buyer lined up, a company called Navajo Nation. If the sale is approved by the bankruptcy court, Navajo has announced they will be shutting down the AR-15 production line. I infer from that that the new owners would be closing Remington's Ilion, NY plant and shifting all production to Huntsville, Alabama. As far as I know, the only firearms being made at Ilion are AR-15s and M-4 carbines. This would mark the end of the oldest firearms manufacturing plant in the United States.

https://www.westernjournal.com/repo...campaign=breaking&utm_content=western-journal

2. Yes, I was reading about that too. Seems that stopping production of the AR-15 is a political move..
    too bad but the current bearer of the name Remington has done their best to take a once great icon in firearms along with several other aquisitions like Marlin, H&R and ruined them by corporate bean counters...quality suffered and sales did likewise..

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Well played Freedom
    Group, we’ll played.

4. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I wonder if company decision had to do with the market being flooded right now with AR's.

5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Very likely, actually. That's why Colt stopped making them last year. Colt said the market was flooded with ARs, so there was no point in continuing to make them.

Jim Bridger likes this.
  6. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

flooded with everything but over priced colt ar's.

you can still buy top quality stuff from Noreen, Armalite, Stag and a couple of others.
    plenty of room for them.

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If'n I was of a "conspiricy-freak nature", this would seem a type of gun control by deep pocketed companies owned by the gungrabbers. Buy up the old gun companies and put them out of business. Is there any discernible paper trail leading back to those behind this corporation? Will we see the "usual suspects"?

8. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Thats my thoughT. Both of the manufacturer's were high priced. I am thinking they had a small percentage of the AR15 market. There are so many companies making and selling AR15,s and parts and reasonable.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    K75RT likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I can’t confirm right now, but as there was a quick buck to be made, pony was back in the game with their LE6920

neophyte likes this.
  10. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

THanks Cyrano from the latest update. Have been expecting more bad news for some time.

Jaison and Cyrano like this.
  11. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Granted I'm not an AR fan and I have arms from atleast 20ish countries this is still sad but at the same time not suprising either. I just did a little Google searching but didn't turn anything up on the name of the company other than they've apparently been doing a lot of stuff with Navajo power corp from Idaho to the Dakotas, idk?. On another note Icdo like the XM15 and the story behind it is pretty kool, but when I get another AR It'll most likely be another 6.5 Grendel. Already have dies and pleanty of x39 brass :) ...

12. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    We don't see it but the anti gun people put pressure via boycott to have retailers drop guns. Also some of these outfits that sell guns and ammo want to avoid bad publicity and potential liability in shootings etc. I suspect if Colt and these retailers were making money it would very different.

mauser9 likes this.
  13. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

First Winchester and Marlin and now Remington! Sounds like Ruger and Savage in the driver's seat as far as American guns today. Owned and loved my 3 Rems I bought years ago. Sounds like too many strikes against em with law suits and less than desirable models.

neophyte, jerry and K75RT like this.
  14. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

It sounds to me like the old plant was out dated & the shift to a newer plant was needed. While the price of ARs is down(because of everyone & their brother making them)they would shift the line to a more competitive plant to make a better prophet.
    It's all about the bottom line. You can't be sentimental in business if it's not making money it needs to be changed, it doesn't matter if it has been building guns for centuries it's not making it now & the dollar is what rules.

mauser9 and Mowgli T. like this.
  15. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Looks like the copying Winchester to some degree. Cheap labor in an area that is hostile to Unions may be a hook.

16. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Nobody seems to have their knickers in a hy over SIG doing the same thing in Germany and closing factories there.

17. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the only Remington product I would actually miss is their STS/Nitro shot shell hulls.
    I get by without them now so not that big of a loss really.

it's the other companies they have sucked up that will leave a dent in the market.

ChaZam likes this.
  18. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Seems we heard a couple of years ago that the same players were involved in attempting a buyout of Remington. That spawned the talks about DPMS and Bushmaster getting axed. Looking back the last decade or 2 it seems that every other entity that Remington touched did a lot of internal bleeding at the hands of Remington...

K75RT likes this.
  19. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

SIG has the bulk of their manufacturing, sales, R&D in the states now. That's why the Germans sort of backed away from them and what prompted the closure of a plant in the homeland; they simply don't consider them a devout German branded company anymore.

Jim Bridger likes this.
  20. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist

That's all fine by me. Germany doesn't deserve them.

Jim Bridger, ChaZam and K75RT like this.